Basket strainer problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Smellslikemoney

Reaction score
So... I’ve run into a problem I’ve never encountered before. Custom copper farmhouse sink with a single drain outlet. Bottom of the sink had a stamped indentation that the flange for the basket strainer should sit in (pretty standard). Except it’s stamped at 4.25”. Which I’m sure is designed for a disposal flange. However nothing else is set up for a disposal I. E. no power under sink etc. and every other basket strainer has an outer flange diameter of 4.5”. So my question is are there standard basket strainers with the smaller diameter that I haven’t been able to locate yet or is there an adapter I’m unaware of to turn a disposal flange into a normal 1.5” tailpiece???? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’ve googled just about every combination of terms or a solution.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So... I’ve run into a problem I’ve never encountered before. Custom copper farmhouse sink with a single drain outlet. Bottom of the sink had a stamped indentation that the flange for the basket strainer should sit in (pretty standard). Except it’s stamped at 4.25”. Which I’m sure is designed for a disposal flange. However nothing else is set up for a disposal I. E. no power under sink etc. and every other basket strainer has an outer flange diameter of 4.5”. So my question is are there standard basket strainers with the smaller diameter that I haven’t been able to locate yet or is there an adapter I’m unaware of to turn a disposal flange into a normal 1.5” tailpiece???? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’ve googled just about every combination of terms or a solution.

Pics. And how close are you? If its just a hair off, use a dremel and gently takea little off to MAKE IT WORK. It not that uncommon to have to custom tool old fixtures.

Smellslikemoney

Reaction score
Pics. And how close are you? If its just a hair off, use a dremel and gently takea little off to MAKE IT WORK. It not that uncommon to have to custom tool old fixtures.

It’s a quarter inch off. I’ve thought of grinding it just assuming that the finish is going to fall apart unless it’s 100% copper instead of a “finish”

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It’s a quarter inch off. I’ve thought of grinding it just assuming that the finish is going to fall apart unless it’s 100% copper instead of a “finish”
nah. make it work. Just don't get greedy. Work slow and precise until a standard basket strainer fits in there. Then use 100% silicone when you install the basket strainer.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would take the basket throat to a disc grinder and take off 1/8 inch all around the flange. Deburr it all with a file. Can't picture trying to grind the sink and making that look good.

By the way, a disposer and a basket fits the same hole.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder what a small machine shop would charge to chuck a basket in a lathe and take a quarter inch off of the diameter. I expect Joliet has some machine shops.

Smellslikemoney

Reaction score
I would take the basket throat to a disc grinder and take off 1/8 inch all around the flange. Deburr it all with a file. Can't picture trying to grind the sink and making that look good.

By the way, a disposer and a basket fits the same hole.

Not in this case. If you look up 4.25” outer diameter kitchen drains. You’ll see a ton for a disposal but everything for a standard basket strainer is 4.5” outer flange diameter

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the scheme of things, a copper farmhouse sink is a rare bird. If the maker got it wrong, don't faint dead away. I've worked in several factories early on. My experience is huge; trust me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks