Basement wet bar drain options.

Users who are viewing this thread

comet28024

Reaction score
Total amateur plumber here and I'm looking to make sure I have all my bases covered before drywall goes in. The space where the photo is taken will not be finished for some time, if ever, but I want to make sure I'm on the right track before I finish the drywall in the other room where the wet bar is going to be.

The PEX lines are the supply lines and with the white being for an RO system to supply both the sink and the ice maker. I stubbed everything out in PEX as I didn't want to bury any connections in the wall without being able to test them. I likely will hire a licensed/insured plumber to actually connect everything I'm just looking to get the room drywalled so we can use the space in the meantime. It'll likely be a while before the sink actually gets installed.

My questions are as follows:

Is 1.5" sufficient for small bar sink?
Should I just use an AAV instead of running the vent all the way to the other vent stack serving the basement?
Is there any harm in using 4 x 45 fittings to go around behind the 3" stack shown in the photo?
Can the cleanout be moved up to allow the sink drain to enter below it?
Will the in floor fitting be salvageable with a PVC Reamer/Saver so we don't have to bust up any concrete?

Thanks,
Erick

Attachments

• IMG-7490 edited.jpg
    IMG-7490 edited.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 143
  • shrunk.PNG
    shrunk.PNG
    550.9 KB · Views: 159

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks good with the exception that the vent can not connect to the drain stack. The drain connection should be a 4xwhatever the sink drain size is San Tee. A new end of line cleanout will need to be placed above that connection.

Is 1.5" sufficient for small bar sink? - Yes

Should I just use an AAV instead of running the vent all the way to the other vent stack serving the basement? - If allowed I would. But direct connection is better since mechanical fittings will fail at some point.

Is there any harm in using 4 x 45 fittings to go around behind the 3" stack shown in the photo? - No harm in using fittings to go around the stack.

Can the cleanout be moved up to allow the sink drain to enter below it? - Yes, that is how you will need to do the tie in.

Will the in floor fitting be salvageable with a PVC Reamer/Saver so we don't have to bust up any concrete? - Yes it can be done. I prefer the Reem brand reemer, but they're more expensive, but cheaper than busting up concrete.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks good with the exception that the vent can not connect to the drain stack.
The text in the photo describes it as a '3" drain stack for pre-plumbed basement bath'. So I think this is likely just a terminology issue--the 3" stack in the photo is presumably the drain stack carrying fixtures from above, and the other 3" stack is really the vent stack for the basement bath. But that bears confirmation.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you use an aav you'll need to install a box and air intake grate. That can be an annoying detail based on what you have going in there. If there are cabinets and backslash most people wouldn't want a grate in that area.

comet28024

Reaction score
The text in the photo describes it as a '3" drain stack for pre-plumbed basement bath'. So I think this is likely just a terminology issue--the 3" stack in the photo is presumably the drain stack carrying fixtures from above, and the other 3" stack is really the vent stack for the basement bath. But that bears confirmation.

Cheers, Wayne
Hi Wayne,

That is correct, there is another vent (not drain) stack going up that serves the basement bathroom that is not pictured to the left in that photo. My intention was to run back to that to vent the sink and avoid the AAV. I was just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.
Thanks,
Erick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks