Basement shower options?

Users who are viewing this thread

KelliSean

Reaction score
planning for a walkout basement shower to wash my 90lb dog in I would like it to be nice because it is part of a three piece bath. I’m thinking 36 x 60 what is a good shower pan or base to use I have seen acrylic and the onyx solid surface?
For shower head and handheld would the IKEA Brogrund be ok? The onyx Wall panels are expensive so I’m considering tile for the walls.
I appreciate your suggestions.
Thank you
Kelli

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The shower should be constructed to the same standards as any shower built for humans. There are a few ways to build them, but the proper ways include vapor barriers and proper waterproofing of the backer boards under the finished surface material. Tile and grout is not waterproof, the layers below it must be properly assembled and waterproofed before tiling. Shower bases can be purchased pre-built or can be made on site, which also requires proper construction and waterproofing.
No mater how nice the finished product looks, it can still be a musty moldy mess in a few years if it is not built properly in the first place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks