Basement Rough-In Design & Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

GeoP

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm adding a bathroom in a basement and trying to limit the amount of concrete I need to break up. Is this design okay without a dedicated vent line from the shower?

Many Thanks,
George

Attachments

• basement plumbing.jpg
    basement plumbing.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 290

Reach4

Reaction score
I think so, looking at paragraph (f) of https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/077008900K15000R.html

If Chicago, I doubt it is OK. Special case. If in Dupage county, IPC applies, and I think it is ok in IPC also.

My comments presume that your drawing took shortcuts and all drainage 3-port fixtures below the santee are wyes or combos. Bend under lav needs to be long sweep.

Your lavatory venting is fine, I think, but it could be simplified by just having the trap arm connect to the big pipe horizontally if close enough.

I am not a plumber, and I may be wrong. The plumbers currently posting on this forum don't work under Part 890 Illinois Plumbing Code AFAIK. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/illinois-plumbing-code-questions.31/ is pretty quiet.

GeoP

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes my drawing is crude but plan to use wyes. Good tip on the lav pipe.

GeoP

Reaction score
I think I will change my design a bit but a new nubie question. If I am venting into a line attached to a floor drain (goes from under foundation floor to roof) does it matter which way I pitch the PVC - so long as it is pitched one way for condensation?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
dont know your codes but dosent chicago use cleanouts for the 3 inch waste line? It looks shower trap is not vented proper but again dont know your code

GeoP

Reaction score
I don't live in Chicago, I am way out in the Western Suburbs (Kane County). I am altering the design but curious about the vent pitch question above.

Last edited:

GeoP

Reaction score
Hi. Attached are 2 cleaner drawings. Is option A or B a better plan? and would I need the dedicated vent for the shower in option A?

Attachments

• Bath 2.jpg
    Bath 2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 235

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Basicaly the vent at floor drain is treated as a drain sloping toward waste line. the horizontal vent above the floor needs no grade at all but must not have any fall going the wrong way it to must drain down . your santees appear to be installed wrongthey should be aranged to allow the normal flow of air out. it matters how a santee is installed just like a wye it has direction to it

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take a look at Reach4's link on wet venting. You can omit the toilet and shower vents if you size the lavatory drain properly.

As to the vent grade question, take a look at this drawing:

https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/07700890ZZ9996kfR.html

The text that references the drawing is a bit ambiguous, but the drawing suggests the vent should slope back towards the fixtures served.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

GeoP

Reaction score
Okay jack hammering over the weekend was fun :) However, now have hopefully the last question... To meet up with my main waste line I am only about 15 inches below grade so don't have a lot of height to stack up fittings for rear (wet) vent line. Can I tie into a wye (option A) or is B better. As a bonus there is option C but not sure if one of those 3 inch 90s with a 2 in off the back have the throw needed for a WC?

Thanks again all!!!

Attachments

• WC and Vent.jpg
    WC and Vent.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 234

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm interpreting (B) to have on the left a san-tee on its back with the side inlet upright (or possibly rolled a little to bypass the WC vertical drain). That's never allowed for drainage, you'd do it with a wye and a 45 instead of a san-tee and a 90. But even that is not considered a proper wet vent.

Here's a 4th option (D) that is definitely good: it's like (B) but the two fittings on the left are a wye and a 45, flat (2% slope), so the center line of the horizontal lav drain and the centerline of the horizontal WC drain are at the same elevation. The lav san-tee and the closet ring are ideally offset in the dimension out of the page, and the wye can be in either configuration, so that the combined horizontal 3" line is in line with the lav drain or with the WC drain.

I believe option (A) is okay, but some say the toilet has to join the horizontal wet vented drain on the horizontal, not the vertical like that, hence option (D). I don't find any code language to support that, but I don't have the experience to say whether it will make a performance difference.

So if your trench is wide enough and the layout works, go with (D). Otherwise, option (A) is better than option (C).

Cheers, Wayne

GeoP

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne!!! If I follow you you mean this?

Attachments

• WC and Vent 2.jpg
    WC and Vent 2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 221

GeoP

Reaction score
Hi Wayne one final question. I built option D as you suggested but had to navigate around the foundation to get the vent into the wall framing. Any concerns with my series of bends? Shown in the pic.

Attachments

• WC and Vent 3.jpg
    WC and Vent 3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 223

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some will say you can't do that with wet venting, it needs to be dry vent -- a single vertical segment -- everything horizontal. I'm not very familiar with the Illinois State Plumbing Code, but I can't find any language requiring that in the IPC. Would be interested in other's opinions

(2) 45s instead of (3) 90s would be better. And it would avoid the above issue.

The 90's need to be long-turn 90s, except the one in the middle can be a regular quarter bend.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry no help as far as code , but in practical terms I think it would be good, and no adverse effect if the horizontal offsets like that. the beauty of horizontal wet vent is the lav ensures vent wont be clogged.

GeoP

Reaction score
Thanks to you both. They are long turn 90s. If it is not a horrible problem waiting to happen I may just leave it. However if so (to be clear) this is what you suggest would be better?

Attachments

• WC and Vent 4.jpg
    WC and Vent 4.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 216

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's right. Fewer and shallower bends; straighter, shorter path; and the segment that is 45 degree off vertical is considered vertical, so no potential code issue.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks