Basement Drain Tile Two Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Mugatu300

Reaction score
Hello, I posted here about 6 months ago regarding water getting into my basement (see pictures). Well, I finally purchased a endoscope and tried to get a sense of what is going on. I have two questions below:

mugatu300-02.jpg

1) The long stretch of drain line that runs between the two sump pits is filled with sludge. Just for the hell of it, I want to sewer jetter that stretch of pipe and see if that helps at all.

My question is, while I'm cleaning it, how do I prevent all the sludge from going into the pit and clogging up my sump pumps? Do I put some type of filter on the end of the pipe to only let water through and then just periodically discard the sludge? I also thought about temporarily removing the sump pump but I probably need a working pump because the jetter is going to generate a lot of water.

2) The mysterious section marked with question marks is actually clay pipe that has "two halves" to it (upper half semicircle and lower half semicircle combined into one pipe). The lower half leads to nowhere but the upper half I am able to get the camera into and run it out. When I scope towards the wall with the sump pits, the camera ends at some rocks and this lines up with where the drain tile is. Unfortunately its too difficult to scope in the opposite direction of the wall. Now I have seen standing water in this clay pipe before and the concrete above it is constantly damp. My hypothesis is that water is coming into the house, cant get into the drain tile, goes through the rocks in the drain tile trench, and then goes into the clay pipe. I do not think the clay pipe and black corrugated drain pipe are connected at all.

If that's the case, what purpose is this clay pipe serving? Can I just go ahead and dig it up/remove it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mugatu300

Reaction score
Pipe sock. I think that's what it's called.
Not sure what you mean by that...

I was hoping someone could answer 1) how can i prevent sludge from clogging sump pump when i jet drain tile and 2) can I rip out that old clay pipe in mysterious section (see above description)

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by that...

I was hoping someone could answer 1) how can i prevent sludge from clogging sump pump when i jet drain tile and 2) can I rip out that old clay pipe in mysterious section (see above description)
Yeah Google pipe sock. It's like a filter for drain tile I've used them to flush lines.

A pipe that you don't know where it ends is gonna be tough to say if you should remove it. It was put there for a purpose you'd need to know that that purpose was in order to know if you should remove it. I've never heard of pipe in two length wise halves like that. If it's a drain tile and collects water then what's the harm in keeping it?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well I am back on here, looking for more great advice. I am now starting my basement bathroom gut job. There was previously a one piece shower kit, and the concrete floor underneath is sloped quite a bit. I will be using the Kerdi shower kit, so I think I have to get the cement floor level first (I know you guys will say to just make a sloped mud bed, and save the money, but I have no idea what I'm doing, where I have previously done the Kerdi floor). So my two questions: 1. The drain isn't your standard pipe coming out of the floor. It's about 4 inches wide. The previous shower had some kind of drain, but it didn't seem secured to anything, I could just lift it out. So how do I install the Kerdi drain if there is no 2 inch pipe? 2. How do I level out the floor if there is no pipe? Just a big hole?
I think you would find better results posting your own new thread for a basement remodel and include some photos of existing work and plans for how you would like to install the new work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks