Bad Coil? Green Discoloration On Coolant Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

e2139adfa

Reaction score
I have a 20 year old system put in by the builders. Do these coils look like they need to be replaced? Is my refrigerant leaking? What does it mean when there is some green discoloration on the coolant pipe and rust on the coils? My system uses R22. Thank you

D1C52A79-B76E-433E-A4E0-5DED51A62C41.jpeg

DavidDeBord

Reaction score
Greetings e2139,

As long as the System has not lost it's charge, the "green color" on a coil will not hurt it.

What you should have done on a yearly basis is have a HVAC Tech, "Clean & Tune" your system, which will involve pressure & leak checking, as well cleaning the Condenser & Evaporator coils, checking air flow etc.

And, as long as the Evaporator coil isn't leaking down in your Air Handler/Duct work via that rust, you should be good.

I will say, that after 20 years of usage,.... "If" You were concerned about Efficiency & Warranty, then it's time to upgrade to a new unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks