Back door width question

Users who are viewing this thread

Diyohmy

Reaction score
We have a 36 inch wide hallway that leads into the bedroom area at the back of our house.

At the end of the hallway is a closet. We would like to remove the closet and add an exterior door to the backyard where the back of the closet is now. We have no backdoor currently and would really love one.

My question is fairly basic - is this even possible? Do we have enough width to be able to fit a door frame and door, or is it simply too tight?

If this is too small a space for a standard door, are there any other options anyone can think of?

Reach4

Reaction score
An open-out door would save some space going through the door.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Anything can be done, it is just a matter of how much effort it will take. The exterior wall will need to be framed out with studs and a header to support the load of the surrounding structure. You can get standard exterior doors in 30, 32, and 36" widths

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Of course it can be done, with some modifications to the framing.

Diyohmy

Reaction score
Of course it can be done, with some modifications to the framing.

Anything can be done, it is just a matter of how much effort it will take. The exterior wall will need to be framed out with studs and a header to support the load of the surrounding structure. You can get standard exterior doors in 30, 32, and 36" widths

This is great to hear. The reason I was concerned was that we had a contractor in for a different project and he told us we would need to move a bedroom wall over to widen the hallway and make room for the door. This seemed a bit crazy to me, but I am not the expert. From what I gather from all your responses is that it might be a bit of custom work, what is well within the realm of possible. I was concerned some obscure code about back doors was getting in the way or something.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks