Are most plumbers salaried or payed by the hour?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most are hourly. Done that.
Some are on commission. I would be thinking service plumbers mainly for that.
I have also worked piece work. Done that.
Normally salary is for supervisors. Done that.

I loved piece work. My first plumbing job was new construction, a shop with a staff of 150. After I got my forty hours in by Thursday, I was allowed to work piece work on Fridays. Funny, allowed to work piece work instead of getting time and a half. Hmmmmm.
With a helper and an apprentice, we were roughing in five three bath homes a week. Granted these were slab basements that the helper could dig the groundwork for, and the floor joists were open so I place my pipes through them without drilling. Hillis Homes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
by the hour, but how that hour is calculated can vary. When I first moved here I worked for a company that paid me by the "hours on the invoice", even if the job only took a couple of minutes. I was logging 80 hours a week in 40 hours of actual time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks