Are gas water heaters less reliable these days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pman6

Reaction score
I had a 22 year old Rheem 40 gal fail today at my rental property. Water was coming out at the top near the vent ring. American Home Shield insurance paid for it back then, and knowing how stingy AHS is, it was probably the cheapest model.

Called a bunch of plumbers and they all install Bradfords only. They shit on rheem as 'home depot junk'.

So I got a 40gal eco defender installed. Spent $1200 total.

Until today, never heard of bradford, so I go online and read a little, and I see a bunch of problems.
I hate money pits, and this stuff sounds like one.
Is there any truth to this?

My old cheapo rheem was never maintained, but never had anything break. Pilot always lit. Final failure was with the tank itself after 2 decades.

Can I expect the same lifespan with today's heaters if I at least drain it yearly?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
EVERY brand of heater has its fans and detractors. IF you were to go to any of their wholesalers, you would find a whole yard of heaters which have gone bed during the six year warranty period, but there are many more that do NOT come back because they have lasted 7, 10, 15 or even 25 years. It is all the "luck of the draw" which one you have and there is no way to tell UNTIL it fails and starts leaking. My wholesaler started with State, then went to Bradford White, and now sells Rheem/Ruud and American.

Pman6

Reaction score
ok cool, so they're pretty much all the same.

It's just that some plumbers happen to see more failures with one particular brand, and that's due to chance, rather than a trend.

It seems the Honeywell thermostat valves cause more problems than the old fashioned ones. Have you guys seen more failures with the Honeywells?

Glennhvac

Reaction score
You may get the same years from the tank. The controls? No way! Right about the time a certain company figured out a 2x16 lint screen with 1/8" holes was not cutting it in utility rooms they also started to go with that thermopile valve with the pretty blinking light. Had many fail already within usually a year after warranty.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Draining you WH yearly will probably help, but will not change your water quality running in your pipes, or the quality of your pipes themselves.
You have to start draining it after the first year. You can also add a whole house water filter, then replace the filter as needed.

That being said, these water heaters are going to fail at some point. For the mfgs, the sooner the better. After all, they don't make their billions from selling products which last 22 years anymore.

AO Smith bought American WH recently, and since then price of any basic WH shot up 20% or more across the board. New CA state regulations added to the cost as well.

However, I don't think that the price of a new WH is outpacing inflation. In the 70s, a basic WH was less than $100 (before labor), but a dollar then was like 10 dollars today. My numbers may be off a bit, but you get the idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks