Aqua Pure CBF100 carbon filter Clack drain line leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Hcw3

Reaction score
I'm a homeowner (as opposed to a pro).

I have an Aqua Pure CBF100 backwash carbon filter w/ a Clack WS-1 control valve.

It has a 3/4" backwash drain tube connected to the valve assembly by a special quick-connect elbow.

The elbow has a small 'breather hole' in its base that seems to act to allow air into the outgoing water stream, maybe to help it flow more rapidly, maybe to reduce vacuum in the line? It sucks air as the backwash water flows past it out the hose to the drain.

The hose runs 'uphill' to the drain plumbing. After the backwash cycle is done, this hole slowly drips the water that remains in the tube out onto the floor...

Does this hole have some kind of check valve integrated into it? Can I clean it with muriatic acid, or should I just replace the elbow?

Is this kind of part available? Where should I look for parts for this?

I sure appreciate any help.

Reach4

Reaction score
The hose runs 'uphill' to the drain plumbing. After the backwash cycle is done, this hole slowly drips the water that remains in the tube out onto the floor...

Does this hole have some kind of check valve integrated into it? Can I clean it with muriatic acid, or should I just replace the elbow?

Is this kind of part available? Where should I look for parts for this?
I would replace that fitting with a hole with a fitting without a hole.

I suspect it might have been a vacuum breaker that could be useful if the drain was running down to a lower floor. With your line running uphill, I don't see a reason to replace it with a similar fitting.

I am not a pro either.

Hcw3

Reaction score
Well the fitting is actually more than just an elbow, it also functions as a flow control, regulating the gpm output.

The hole seems to be intended to allow air into the flow, because the fitting has a complex venturi kind of design that creates a vacuum.

Edit: this is the first it has behaved this way, in 5 years of service.

I would replace that fitting with a hole with a fitting without a hole.

I suspect it might have been a vacuum breaker that could be useful if the drain was running down to a lower floor. With your line running uphill, I don't see a reason to replace it with a similar fitting.

I am not a pro either.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest you take a closeup sharp picture, showing identifying marks if any, and post it here. Keep it to 800 pixels and 200Kbytes or less, or post a bigger picture elsewhere and put a link here.

Somebody will probably recognize it and be able to suggest useful info.

Hcw3

Reaction score
Thanks Reach, good suggestion... Here are a couple of pix, plus the parts diagram.

Update: I cleaned it out a bit today, and it's leaking much less, but I still don't trust it...

parts-page.jpg
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg

Hcw3

Reaction score
Update again...

I finally found the part after searching for "Clack" instead of Aqua-Pure. SoftenerParts stocks it, at a reasonable price, with reasonable shipping charges too... (nope, I don't work for them - grin). Might be easier than trying to clean it.

Thanks for your input here, Reach. I appreciate it.

Hcw3

Reaction score
It's a noise reducer? Hmmm. I didn't even consider that for it. I'll have to check it next time it's due to cycle.

If it's unnecessary, why not just plug the hole?

Reach4

Reaction score
Wild. http://www.google.com/patents/US6776901 is assigned to Clack. It says in part
The pressure drop created by liquid flow through the washer 130 and augmented by the venturi 174 draws a gas such as ambient air through the bore 152 and into the throat 180 of the venturi 174 as represented by the arrow 153, thereby attenuating noises that otherwise would be generated by operation of the flow control 112. The rubber halves of the duckbill valve 182 move apart to admit air into the bore 152 during this process, but close to prevent the egress of liquid form the bore 152.​

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Noise reducer, leak producer... either way it is generally not needed unless there is a noise issue. This can sometimes mitigate noise.

Hcw3

Reaction score
Reach, you googled the patent! That's darned resourceful! It seemed like there ought to be a check valve in there, but it was impossible to see inside it, and it's tiny, besides.

Thanks for the info, guys. I learned something today.

It's amazing how something as simple as an elbow can be made so complicated.

I agree ditto, including a leak in the fitting is pretty poor design.

Anyone know, is this kind of o-ring-sealed quick-connect clip-retained fitting commonly available? Ah, I forgot. It's also the flow restrictor, @ 5.3 GPM

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
It seemed like there ought to be a check valve in there, but it was impossible to see inside it, and it's tiny, besides.
As the air inlet incorporates a Duckbill valve (I think part 182 or 282 depending on diagram), that appears to be intended to act as a
check valve to prevent water leakage from the air inlet opening.

As Dittohead commented: "Common problem, replace it with drain fitting that does not have the noise reducer", that suggests that an alternate elbow is available without the noise reducer. Water leakage likely would not be an issue if the drain line ran entirely down hill.

Hcw3

Reaction score
Update: Just had to finish this...

I received the replacement elbow from SoftenerParts, and lo, it has nothing in the hole where the duckbill valve should be, and the hole is plugged!

So, yes Bannerman, as you pointed out, that Dittohead suggested, there is an elbow available without the valve in it, and it seems to have replaced the stock elbow from Clack. I ordered according to the Clack part number, and got one without the noise reducer.

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks