Apprenticeship hours and journeyman licenses?

Users who are viewing this thread

slickest

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm curious does every state have the same required amount of hours to receive your journeyman's license? If not which state do you need the least in and do they have reciprocity from ND?

just looking to relocate somewhere where the wages are better or less hours are needed for a journeyman's card

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not a problem in California. You can go right to work for a licensed contractor. But don't expect any big bucks!

If you want work in a union shop or a big company doing commercial contstruction, then they want you to have some credentials.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hours

If you want work in a union shop or a big company doing commercial contstruction, then they want you to have some credentials.

Credentials such as a JOURNEYMAN card from a sister local. Apprentices cannot normally transfer, and as a general rule the better the conditions the harder will be to join the local.

slickest

In the Trades
Reaction score
this January will be the 4th yr of working for the same company. i never became registered to the state for my hours right away because i new nothing of that and the owners never said anything to me and I only ended up receiving like 200 out of the 1800 hrs i should of had that year.

THEN the contractor i work for screwed me around about getting me into the union for ever and this coming sat the 18th is the start of the school year and I'm only considered a 2nd yr apprentice to the union this yr and that really pi$$es me off.

I have been working the commercial side the whole time so i have had quite a bit of experience but i want to see if their is any better options on where to finish my schooling and or get my card.

Also can any of you guys point me the right direction on where to look at contractors that do alot of traveling, paying descent per diem, and maybe even do some jobs overseas.

thanks guys,
Adam

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
this jan will be the 4th yr of working for the same company. i never became registered to the state for my hours right away because i new nothing of that and the owners never said anything to me and i only ended up recieving like 200 out of the 1800 hrs i should of had that year.

THEN the contractor i work for screwed me around about getting me into the union for ever and this comming sat the 18th is the start of the school year and im only considered a 2nd yr apprentice to the union this yr and that really pi$$es me off.

I have been working the commerical side the whole time so i have had quite a bit of experience but i want to see if their is any better options on where to finish my schooling and or get my card.

Also can any of you guys point me the right dirrection on where to look at contractors that do alot of traveling, paying descent perdium, and maybe even do some jobs overseas.

thanks guys,
Adam

If this happened to you in Connecticut, you could go before the plumbing Board and plead your case and I have read a number of cases where they counted these hours even though the person was an unregistered appprentice. Go before your state Board and plead your case.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
jobs

Until you become a journeyman, your travel and job opportunities are severly limited. When I joined the union, I started as a second year apprentice, so it is up to the local as to what your status is. But, I doubt that any local would start an apprentice at a third or fourth year level, because they want them to get a specific amount of schooling and a late starter would not get that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks