Any issue using this fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pulse

Reaction score
pulse-08.jpg

Any reason why I should not drain a shower and sink into that double wye with a 2" inlet?

Even though I have back to back toilets is it alright to have that wye be 3"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Houptee

Reaction score
I think it has to be a double san tee not that double wye fitting because the deep V area of wye fitting cuts off the vent air and can cause traps to siphon upstream. A double san tee fitting the vent is level to the top of the two incoming pipes there is no V shape so air is always in the top of the pipes for venting. Houptee

This is wrong. Check out this video below on plumbing using a double fixture fitting. With modern toilets unless you use a double wye for back to back toilets, you will wind up pushing water out of the opposing bowls. Terry Love

Pulse

Reaction score
I think it has to be a double san tee not that double wye fitting because the deep V area of wye fitting cuts off the vent air and can cause traps to siphon upstream. A double san tee fitting the vent is level to the top of the two incoming pipes there is no V shape so air is always in the top of the pipes for venting.

that is incorrect my man, haha

EDIT: I based my response on these new toilets, but you may be right on old toilets, no idea

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
As Terry taught me, toilets can be vented via a wye, because the internal trap siphons on purpose when you flush, and the toilet refills the trap itself. So the rule about trap weir does not apply.

But on the 2" inlet, are your shower and drain already vented? If so, that fitting would be functional for bringing the drain in, not sure what the UPC or IPC has to say about it, though. If not, that fitting would not be suitable for venting the 2" line.

Cheers, Wayne

Pulse

Reaction score
But on the 2" inlet, are your shower and drain already vented? If so, that fitting would be functional for bringing the drain in, not sure what the UPC or IPC has to say about it, though. If not, that fitting would not be suitable for venting the 2" line.

Yes, both the shower and vanity are individually vented.

Pulse

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
So a wye to receive the vanity and wet-vented shower below the double toilet wye above would work. Everybody would like that.

How about a santee bringing in the the vanity and wet-vented shower, above, with the toilets receiving big, but slightly wet venting, from above. That seems very functional to me, but the kind of thing that may be controversial. IPC should like that in my non-professional opinion.

Houptee

Reaction score
In the thread terry says at least a double fixture for back to back toilets, but that will still siphon. ..and they only make double fixtures up to 3"

A double wye is the only way to go with these new toilets

The codes say the double wye is not the correct fitting due to it creates a 3/4 S trap.
So it's a situation of what works vs what is supposed to be used per code.
He says a double santee will flow across and cause other toilet to lose water level.
And for snaking the line it will not go down it will go across and might come out other toilet and damage it.
The other problem is there usually is not enough room to use a double wye with 1/8 bend or double combo.
I guess technically if you came off the top of each toilet line before the wye and vented each up into the vent then it would be code correct but there usually is no room to do that and keep it all inside the walls. Houptee

Toilets are designed to siphon. They are not sinks with p-traps, they are toilets.
Terry Love

Houptee

Reaction score
Can you provide a reference to the IPC or UPC section that says that?

Thanks, Wayne
It has to do with the weir of the trap and the vent level of the fitting thats why a santee is used not a wye in vertical orientation.
Read this entire thread in post #21 HJ mentions the S trap caused by the wye fittings.
Then after that they draw red and green lines across various fittings showing the weir level and vent level.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/double-fixture-tee-or-double-sanitary-tee.22539/

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it has to be a double san tee not that double wye fitting because the deep V area of wye fitting cuts off the vent air and can cause traps to siphon upstream. A double san tee fitting the vent is level to the top of the two incoming pipes there is no V shape so air is always in the top of the pipes for venting.
Good point however toilets dont come into play asa the trap (w/c) is already above the vent takeoff. its exempt from needing a santee

Houptee

Reaction score
Good point however toilets dont come into play asa the trap (w/c) is already above the vent takeoff. its exempt from needing a santee
Not according to HJ who is a master plumber and said on other threads the codes do not allow a double wye only a double fixture fitting.
But as you said toilets are different in that the trap is inside the toilet, however the pipe from the toilet is considered part of the trap arm up to the point of its vent connection (the double wye in this example). So the codes say no other connections can be made to the line until after its vent point on toilets.
And on another note, the side inlet fitting he shows is not approved for waste connection to the side inlet because there is no radius on the side inlet connection. That side inlet can only be used for a vet connection not waste.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
And on another note, the side inlet fitting he shows is not approved for waste connection to the side inlet because there is no radius on the side inlet connection. That side inlet can only be used for a vet connection not waste.
That is an excellent point. If the side inlet has the radius of a san-tee, then you can use it for a drain horizontal to vertical. Otherwise, no drain attachment.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
As to using a wye for a toilet fixture drain to stack connection, it is allowed for the reason I explained previously.

IPC 909.2: The total fall in a fixture drain due to pipe slope shall not exceed the diameter of the fixture drain, nor shall the vent connection to a fixture drain, except for water closets, be below the weir of the trap.

UPC 1002.4: The vent pipe opening from soil or waste pipe, except for water closets and similar fixtures, shall not be below the weir of the trap.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Houptee

Reaction score
As to using a wye for a toilet fixture drain to stack connection, it is allowed for the reason I explained previously.

IPC 909.2: The total fall in a fixture drain due to pipe slope shall not exceed the diameter of the fixture drain, nor shall the vent connection to a fixture drain, except for water closets, be below the weir of the trap.

UPC 1002.4: The vent pipe opening from soil or waste pipe, except for water closets and similar fixtures, shall not be below the weir of the trap.

Cheers, Wayne
Start reading at post #21 of this thread where HJ says his inspectors would not allow that type of fitting per code on back to back toilets.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....xture-tee-or-double-sanitary-tee.22539/page-2

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those posts are from 2009. If the inspectors are still doing that, and enforcing the UPC or the IPC, they are wrong, per the sections I posted.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
inspectors are full of it often , never belive inspector with out investigation.
As for the 2 inch that is questionable . But whoever said a toilet cant dump into a wye is wrong but dont beliveme look it up as wayne did. BTW this aint new stuff same way its been since I got in the trade

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
some of those fittings have questionable uses how could a vent ever be tied into the 2 inch? if its not proper sweep for a santee , what legal use would it have?...
Back to the comments about using only a santee for a w/c I suggest revisiting the code book. Wayne made it quite easy for all to check

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks