Ants come out of filtered water faucet

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Larry Schwarcz, Oct 12, 2019 at 12:39 PM.

1. Larry Schwarcz

Larry Schwarcz New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm asking this question for a friend. She's the admin for a large group at one of the BIG tech companies here in silicon valley. Her whole group just moved into a different building that had been empty for a week or two.

The first time she turned on the faucet for the filtered water in the break room a stream of ants came out! They were still alive and after a bit the ants were gone and it was water that came out.

I'm figuring the only way the ants could have gotten into the faucet is through the end. They must have been on the counter top and crawled up and into the spout end. The cleaning crews likely cleaned off the ants on the counter top and those in the spout stayed until it was turned on.

The ants are now gone but my big concern would be how safe is the water from that spout? Who knows what they may have used to clean away the ants (some pesticide?) and would the stream of water flush away any residue inside the spout? Is that water from the faucet safe?

Any thoughts? Should she get that faucet replaced?

Thanks in advance!
    Larry.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If they used anything, I would like to think they would use chlorine bleach. That kills stuff including germs, washes out readily, and has a smell-- so residual can be easily detected.

I would think it would be good to get an exterminator to rid the building of ants.

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  4. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing- - fire suppression
    Run hot water

5. ImOld

ImOld Octogenerian

Get an ant filter!

Sylvan likes this.
  6. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Black Belly Whistling Ducks

Retired
    Ants go for the moisture. I once had an ant nest inside the timer housing of a dishwasher. They were always inside the dishwasher and I had to watch their trail.