Another "Please Size My Softner" Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Civrel

Reaction score
I am glad that you all don't get tired of answering there questions and really appreciate the advice and recommendations. Here it go, there are usually 2 (80% of the time) people in the house, but occasionally as many as 4 persons (20% of the time) in the house.

Calcium Hardness is 24 GPG
Iron is 1 or less

Using the calculator, for 2 persons, I get 3360 daily grains, 26,880 total grain capacity and a 1.5 CF system.

I am replacing a proprietary system that had 1.13 cf of resin and was rated at 12,100 grains at 2.4 lbs of salt, 31,700 grains at 8.9 lbs of salt and 40,200 grains at 15.4 lbs of salt. We were sold this system when we had 4 persons living in the house. I am thinking that this system was grossly undersized based on the calculator which recommended a 53,670 total capacity with 3 cf of resin for a 4-person household.

I would like to know what the treatment capacity difference between regular and fine mesh resins, or if it even makes a difference. All I could find is something that said that fine mesh resin does a better job at removing one type or iron.

I see several offerings of 32,000 (1 CF?), 48,000 (1.5 CF?) and 64,000 (2 CF?) grain systems all using the same valve. Based on the larger tank sizes, I assume that the differences between these capacities is the cubic feet of resin, which is not provided in the advertisement. Somewhere I also read that a cubic hoot of resin will remove 32,000 grains, but number is not accurate and the actual number may be as low as 28,000 grains between regeneration. Assuming a low removal rate of 28K it would seem like a 32K system would work, I was just wondering why a 1.5 cf (48K) system would be recommended?

The system we currently have is metered, which I really like. Prior to that we had a twin tank non-electric metered system which I really liked as well. I see the Fleck makes a twin tank metered electric system. Can anyone provide any input on the single vs twin tank metering systems? Is the twin tank worth the almost double cost?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I see several offerings of 32,000 (1 CF?), 48,000 (1.5 CF?) and 64,000 (2 CF?) grain systems all using the same valve. Based on the larger tank sizes, I assume that the differences between these capacities is the cubic feet of resin, which is not provided in the advertisement. Somewhere I also read that a cubic hoot of resin will remove 32,000 grains, but number is not accurate and the actual number may be as low as 28,000 grains between regeneration. Assuming a low removal rate of 28K it would seem like a 32K system would work, I was just wondering why a 1.5 cf (48K) system would be recommended?
On the same page as the calculator that gave the 1.5 recomendation, look farther down at the bottom table. In the column under the big 6 you will see 30000 capacity if you choose that more salt-efficient setting.

I see the Fleck makes a twin tank metered electric system. Can anyone provide any input on the single vs twin tank metering systems? Is the twin tank worth the almost double cost?
Not for most homes, including you. The main advantage is that they can regen any time of day without taking you out of service.

What controller do you have now? Perhaps you could reuse the controller if you felt like fiddling with that. New tank. New resin.

Civrel

Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't save my original calculations , so I went back to the calculator and reran the numbers for two people again. I thought I had used 25 GPG and 65 g/person and the numbers came up entirely different and significantly higher with a 2 CF system recommended. I ran again using 24 GPG and 65 g/person and it dropped back down to a 1.5 CF system. So it appears that my numbers put me right at the limit of the 1.5 CF system with the 1 GPG difference?

My existing system is an Ecowater. However the control panel went recently went out and for the cost of the service call and part, I come very close to the cost of a new system. There isn't sufficient freeboard in the tank to add any additional resin.

Also, I was totally lost regarding the SFR calculations at the link at the bottom of the Calculator page.

24 GPG 65 Gal 2 ppl.JPG
25 GPG 65 gal 2 ppl.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, I was totally lost regarding the SFR calculations at the link at the bottom of the Calculator page.
What that says is that if you go to a 1.5 CF unit, if you draw more than 12 GPM, there would be hardness leakage to some degree (I suspect about 1 grain of hardness dye to that flow). Temporary leakage is not a big deal usually, and 12 GPM is a lot of flow.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Reach4 was not referring to to SFR link near the bottom of the page, but he did mention the table pertaining to various salt settings.

As regenerating the entire capacity of the resin requires a large and inefficient amount of salt, the salt efficiency can be improved by regenerating a portion of the entire capacity.

The chart shows a comparison of capacities and efficiencies when regenerating with various salt settings.

For instance, reviewing the chart for the 2 cuft softener shows 40K grains of capacity will be restored when using 12 lbs of salt (6 lbs/cuft) at an efficency of 3,333 grains per pound of salt. That setting will regenerate every 11 days to deliver 1379 gallons at the anticipated water use rate of 65 gals per person/day.

Civrel

Reaction score
I guess what I was trying to find out by posting the two sets of calculations is that it appears that if my water hardness was 1 GPG higher, I would need a larger system. If that is the case, I appear to be right at the limit of the 1.5 CF system. Would I be better off with a 2 CF system which would regenerate less frequently and while it uses more salt (9 LB vs 12 LB), over the course of a year, it would regenerate less and use slightly less salt and also provide some extra capacity when there are more people in the house?

Would a 2 CF system equate to a 64,000 grain capacity or something less?

I currently have 1 1/4" PVC running from my pump to my 1" pre-filter and 1" to the softener. However, I can not determine the size of the valve on the softener. The information is not in the manual specifications. I would think that when I order a system, it should be 1 inch?

I have been considering the Fleck 5600 SXT, any thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
Would a 2 CF system equate to a 64,000 grain capacity or something less?
Something less. Look at the columns headed by 6 or 8 in the table at the bottom in each of the images you posted. See the corresponding "salt dose capacity" rows for the effective capacity at a more efficient salt dose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks