Another CU 301 Problem and How-To Jumper Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Smith

Reaction score
We had some strong storms blow through yesterday afternoon but don't think we lost power as all the clocks are still set. We did, however lose internet for a period of time and I'm dealing with network problems as a result but in the mix of it we suddenly lost water to the house. Literally I had a faucet running and it just stopped abruptly. I checked to see if anyone was using anything else but found that the Grundfos CU 301 was dead. No lights no nothing. I checked the breaker and checked the power supply to the controller with a non-contact tester and it appears to be getting power but no lights on the outside or inside of the controller.

After we got internet back I discovered how this is not uncommon and apparently these controllers don't typically last that long. I also saw that they sell for around $500. So I have some questions (follow-up details on my setup below:

1. Can I jumper the pump to get some form of water until it's fixed?

2. Difficulty of installing an alternate, cheaper, hopefully more reliable system (CSV1A)?

3. Turned my boiler off; should I keep it turned off until water is fixed?

My well line comes into the wall of my basement then to the pressure sensor, into the expansion tank, out to a pressure gauge with a shutoff valve then onto a radon tank with another shutoff valve right before it. I don't see a valve to isolate the line from the well to the house but if water's not being pumped in, is that an issue? I was reading a good long write up about installing CSV1A and it mentioned turning off the water to the house. I can do that, just not until after it gets to the tank.

Right now we're calling places to get prices on the remote control box and have a call into a plumber for replacing it. We're also going to contact the well service shop that, I think, installed the unit to see what they can do. One way or another, I don't see this thing getting fixed today (that's why I want to try to bypass the controller for water) so we're also looking for motels to stay in. My breath is a bit stale at the moment haha!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Find a regular 40/60 pressure switch, a 1/4X3 nipple, and a 1/2X1/4 bushing. Use that to replace the pressure transducer. Remove the CU301 and put wires on the pressure switch. You will be ok letting it cycle for a few days until you get a CSV1A to finish the job and stop the cycling.

Robert Smith

Reaction score
Well, the well guys came out and it was the controller and they replaced it all before I had a chance to get back home. At least this buys me time to look into this alternate method. I also have the old controller and will have my coworker look at it to see if it can be salvaged in hopes of having a backup. Literally took them less than ten minutes to get the thing swapped.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Literally took them less than ten minutes to get the thing swapped.

Yeah, I am sure they are good at swapping those CU301 boxes. Lol! Probably know all their CU301 customers by name. If they have the water back on before you get home, most people are so happy to have water they just pay them for yet another CU301. My repeat customers are the children of the original customer, who is usually long deceased. If I don't have a sticker with my number on the tank or control box, they have no clue who put in their water system, and that is the way it should be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks