Another basement bathroom venting question

Users who are viewing this thread

WalkinShower

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
First time posting here, but have come here many times and benefited from the good advice. Hoping you can offer some expertise on DWV for my basement bathroom. I'm a homeowner/DIYer but I'm reasonably familiar with the relevant codes and I'm trying to do this as close to code as I can. I'm in NY state.

Before moving into the house a couple years ago, we hired a plumber to install drains and a check valve in the basement in anticipation of building a small bathroom. They also installed a drain for a clothes washer in the 1st floor kitchen.

Here's the basic drain layout in the basement (everything has appropriate P traps and is 2" PVC):

basement-drains2.jpg

The sink has not been installed yet but I'm planning to drain it into the "vertical pipe", along with appropriate venting (see below). The shower is a standing shower. I'm planning to build the shower pan myself. The drain at present looks like this:
shower_drain.jpg

Here is how things are connected with the 1st floor:
basement-drains_kitchen.jpg

Everything has a proper P-trap, except the kitchen sink (installed before I moved in) which has an S-trap that leads into a drain pipe along the first floor that empties into the main stack. It isn't vented. The washer has a P-trap but no vent.

kitchen-drain.jpg

washer drain:
washer-drain.jpg

I'm trying to figure out the best way to vent everything. The kitchen sink is on an outside wall and connecting venting on the 1st floor would be almost impossible. I'm thinking about replacing the S trap with a P trap and an AAV, and then draining the sink to the "vertical pipe" (not ideal, I realize). This would free up the connection to the main stack, which I could then use to vent to basement bathroom, like this (shower and toiler will be wet vented):
basement-drain_solution.jpg

Questions:
1) Is the idea above reasonable? Any suggestions for improvement?
2) Any thoughts on venting for the washer?
3) I havent seen the black sleeve like the one around the shower drain before. What's the purpose? Should I cut it flush with the concrete floor before I install the shower pan? Or flush with the pan?
4) Any other tips? Anything I'm completely overlooking?

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

Stuff

Reaction score
That capped vertical pipe looks like it is meant to be the shower vent. Routing the bathroom sink drain to it makes it a wet vent. You can't drain anything else into it. Tying in the washer to that pipe also looks like a problem as that would be the toilet's vent.

If you are allowed then use 3 AAVs. One for the Kitchen sink, one for the washer, and one for the basement bathroom.

I assume there was a major remodel of the kitchen in the past and the sink was moved to a different wall abandoning its vent. Look at the roof penetrations and attic vents to verify.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
What is that 3" pipe shaped like a trap for? S traps are no longer allowed for a remodel or new work.

WalkinShower

Reaction score
That capped vertical pipe looks like it is meant to be the shower vent. Routing the bathroom sink drain to it makes it a wet vent. You can't drain anything else into it. Tying in the washer to that pipe also looks like a problem as that would be the toilet's vent.

If you are allowed then use 3 AAVs. One for the Kitchen sink, one for the washer, and one for the basement bathroom.

I assume there was a major remodel of the kitchen in the past and the sink was moved to a different wall abandoning its vent. Look at the roof penetrations and attic vents to verify.

Thanks for the advice. I think everything you said makes sense, but to clarify...
1) wouldn't a wet vent be acceptable between the basement sink and shower? (assuming I *don't* drain the kitchen sink there as well)
2) in the case of the toilet, it's just a few feet from the stack (probably not that clear in my drawings). Doesn't that essentially mean it is vented via the stack itself? (I realized that doesn't solve the issue with the washer drain not being vented)
3) If I vent the washer drain with an AAV, wouldn't that effectively make the toilet wet vented via the washer drain?
4) Any thoughts on question #3 in my original post?

Thanks again for your help.

WalkinShower

Reaction score
What is that 3" pipe shaped like a trap for? S traps are no longer allowed for a remodel or new work.
I think you're referring to the washer drain, correct? That's a 2" pipe, and I guess this is probably semantics, but I would say it's more of a P trap that isn't vented than an S trap. At any rate, I agree with you -- it's not my work (done by the same plumber who installed the basement drainage/check valve) and the fact it isn't vented is part of what I'm trying to fix!

Stuff

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I think everything you said makes sense, but to clarify...
1) wouldn't a wet vent be acceptable between the basement sink and shower? (assuming I *don't* drain the kitchen sink there as well)
2) in the case of the toilet, it's just a few feet from the stack (probably not that clear in my drawings). Doesn't that essentially mean it is vented via the stack itself? (I realized that doesn't solve the issue with the washer drain not being vented)
3) If I vent the washer drain with an AAV, wouldn't that effectively make the toilet wet vented via the washer drain?
4) Any thoughts on question #3 in my original post?

Thanks again for your help.
1) Yes, wet vent should be fine without the kitchen sink
2) drawing shows toilet going to vertical pipe from washer so that's its vent
3) yes, a vertical wet vent. May or may not be allowed by your local code
4) I think black sleeve was to keep concrete away when poured to give room to fit connection. Just cut it back.

WalkinShower

Reaction score
Makes sense. I have to double check a couple points in the local code but I think I have a reasonable plan now. Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks