Anode rod - magnesium - right choice ?

Users who are viewing this thread

dikshe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dikshe
I've never replaced the anode rod on my 10 yr old water heater. I replaced the dip tube - that was easy but the anode rod won't budge with a 24" breaker bar applied to it. I'm wondering if too much force could rupture the tank. for 2 weeks I've spayed penetrating oil on the threads but it's still stuck. So 2 questions:
Can I safely apply heat with a propane touch to the threads ?
Can I rupture the tank by applying too much force using the breaker bar ?

thanks

Ok - according to the serial number on my water heater it is really 13 yrs old. I successfully replaced the dip tube - and after 3 weeks of applying liquid wrench the anode nut finally broke loose. Only about an 1/8" rod maybe 15" was all that was left of the original anode rod.
So I installed the new anode rod - it was magnesium - is this the correct type of material for my region ? I live in Westminster Colorado and my water comes from a high country stream which fills a local resevoir.
The magnesium rod cost me $ 25 - the plumbing supply place was out of alumimun.
If the water heater dies in the next few years - remind me to remove the anode rod for use in my next water heater. Am I beginning to think like a plumber ?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
anode

If the heater lasts until it is 15 years old, it could be because of the new anode rod. Without replacing the anode rod the heater might only have lasted 1 1/2 decades. And the same may be true for the replacement heater regardless of whether you maintain the anode or not. New heaters can last 1 year, 3 years, 6 years, or 14 years, and that is without any maintenance of any king.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks