Algae in drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

Sdsvtdriver

Reaction score
The drain line from my softener and chloramine reduction tanks has algae in it. I’m guessing it is from the lack of chlorine and the fact the line is clear which allows light in. Is this an issue I should be concerned about? Should I bypass the chloramine and regenerate the softener?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DF4EB462-FED7-4F6C-8303-690305B43E89.jpeg
    DF4EB462-FED7-4F6C-8303-690305B43E89.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 255

Bannerman

Reaction score
Unlikely there would be adequate Chloramine residual to eliminate the algae with only one regeneration cycle. If the reduction filter does not require backwashing for some time, perhaps the weak chloramine sitting in the line for an extended period will be somewhat effective.

Temporarily removing the affected section and circulating a strong bleach solution through it I expect would address the issue at least temporarily if the tubing is to continue to remain within the sunlight.

I would be inclined to replace the clear tubing with something opaque such as Black poly pipe.

Since the drain tubing is directly attached to water treatment devices that condition potable water, steps should be taken to keep the drain line clean and occasionally sanitized to prevent possible contamination of potable water flowing to your fixtures.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks