After soldering, water tastes fluxy

Users who are viewing this thread

Mnoone

Reaction score
I recently replaced the main valve to my house as well as a number of other pipes. Total maybe 40 sweated 3/4" joints. All on the cold lines, not hot. I used Oatey H-20 flux. I finished the job last night. I've run faucets for maybe 45 minutes or so and taken a couple showers but the water still tastes and smells fluxy.

I was wondering if I could use a pump to circulate water through the cold lines to try to dissolve all the flux. I have one of these leftover from a previous project. Could I connect this to a couple hose bibs (at either end of the soldering), turn off water to the house, and cycle water through that? I think I'd probably need a bucket in series as well Maybe even with some cleaning agent added?

My memory of the last time I did any soldering in my house the water tasted off for a month and that was with only ~5 joints or so. So I'm nervous that this taste is going to be around for a long time.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, but often hose bibs are piped from near the incoming water, to make it easier to add a softener without softened water going to the hose bibs. If one of the ports was a laundry tap or the drain valve on the WH, then more of the soldered pipes would be involved in the circuit. . Ideally use hoses that are OK for potable water. If those threads on the pump are GHT, get a couple double female adapters.
melnor-hose-fittings-59z-fb-hd-4f_100.jpg

Was that water-soluble flux? I am not sure what cleaning agent. Dish detergent? I don't think you would necessarily need a bucket. If you use a bucket, then the pump would need to be able to serve as a suction pump or submersible pump. And if that applies, you could use a tub or sink bowl instead of a bucket.

When I did recirculation, I used a small submersible utility pump.

Last edited:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
People use alcohol to clean flux off of circuit boards. Just a thought, turn the water off at the meter, drain the lines, attach a hose to the outlet of the pump to your outside hose bib and the inlet of the pump with a hose to a bucket of water and alcohol and fill your pipes with that mixture to flush the lines. obviously I didn't mention all the steps involved but I don't type.

I think the hot water will take care of that by itself.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Yeah, flux can last a good while.
That is why we only ProPress except in rare exceptions. Sorry for you. Give it time.,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks