Adapter for Dishwasher hose into Disposal drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

plumb krazy

Reaction score
Hello,
I am preparing to install a new Bosch dishwasher and a new InSinkErator disposal in a kitchen remodel.

The Bosch dishwasher has a rubber connector on its effluent hose that is too small in diameter to fit the dishwasher inlet on the disposal's connector.
The disposal connector's outside diameter is approximately 15/16". The connector on the dishwasher hose has an inside diameter of 3/4".

In anticipation of such a circumstance, I ordered an adapter for the disposal, but the fit this adapter provides seems less than ideal. The overlapping seems minimal, and I would prefer a bit more length for a slip fit type connection.

I am writing to ask those who have had some first hand experience with similar combinations; is there a better adapter that I may purchase?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am writing to ask those who have had some first hand experience with similar combinations; is there a better adapter that I may purchase?
What you are usually expected to do is to pipe the DW to an air gap, and then have a bigger hose out of the air gap.

Utah may still allow the high loop.
https://archive.org/stream/gov.ut.plumbing/ut_plumbing_djvu.txt says
802.1.6 Domestic dishwashing machines. Domestic
dishwashing machines shall discharge indirectly through an
air gap or air break into a standpipe or waste receptor in
accordance with Section 802.2, or discharge into a
wye-branch fitting on the tailpiece of the kitchen sink or the
dishwasher connection of a food waste grinder. The waste
line of a domestic dishwashing machine discharging into a
kitchen sink tailpiece or food waste grinder shall connect to
a deck-mounted air gap or the waste line shall rise and be
securely fastenend to the underside of the sink rim or coun-
ter.
Is that still up-to-date? I don't know.

Anyway, if you have the unused hole to mount an air gap, you could consider that. Otherwise, that adapter you show has plenty of space to grab.

Last edited:

plumb krazy

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

The old install had what I would call an "under counter" air gap type set up with the dishwasher hose slipped into an open top Y connector.

I was under the impression that Utah does not require such an install, but I was and am willing to replicate it, how ever when I told the people at the plumbing supply house that I drove too, they said that no one does an air gap anymore so I figured I would proceed with a connection to the disposal.

Last edited:

plumb krazy

Reaction score
"...The waste line of a domestic dish washing machine discharging
into a kitchen sink tailpiece or food waste grinder ... the waste line shall rise and be
securely fastened to the underside of the sink rim or counter."

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds like a reasonable choice to me. Others may not see it that way. You know about breaking out the plug on the disposal.

plumb krazy

Reaction score
It seemed to me that the old air gap made a lot of sense, but then I accepted the idea that the drain into the sink disposal was a sort of variation on the air gap concept.

Now after thinking about it, the air is only available as long as the sink drain is clear and or the sink isn't, for some reason, filled with standing water.

Is that why some would prefer the dedicated air gap regardless of being able to omit it by code?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks