AC Liquid Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Addison

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I must say, thank you in advance for the knowledge, help and guidance you will share!

My question is that i notice condensation forming on the Liquid Line directly where is exits my airhandler/evap coil box. I have never experienced freezing of the line, and difference in cooler performance, or any sweating anywhere else on the line.

Is it normal for a bit of dripping/condensation to form directly at the outlet off the liquid line? Should i be alarmed that a potential blockage may be present? I dont recall every seeing a drier, and the unit is an older trane xe800.

Just wondering if i should be worried or if this may be within normal scope.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The liquid line (high pressure) is the smaller of the two that is from the condenser to the air handler coil. The larger one (low pressure and gas) is the return after the coil. The very least the liquid line may be warm or even hot depending the age of the unit and the outside temp. New HE units it is about room temperature.

The low pressure side will be cool or at room temperature and not uncommon to find some condensation but normally no. Some of it has to do with the dew point of the ambient air. New high SEER units with new air-handlers and right size duct work it be rare to see any condensation. One reason usually why there is insulation wrap around it. If it is icing then you're low on coolant or the air filter is clogged up and not enough air is passing over the coils.

A drier is for the refrigerant liquid line and it at the outside unit or right at the air handler. It has nothing to do with condensation forming or not.

If its been a long time since anyone put gauges on it it is time to have it done, however, your unit maybe in the order of twenty years old and if the refrigerant is R22 any AC guy will tell you its time to replace it.

Last edited:

Addison

Reaction score
Hi WorthFlorida!

Great Explanation and thank you very much for the detail! Yes the unit is older, and likely R22; i know id benefit from replacement and likely that would be suggested. But it works great as it is, and honestly, i am planning to relocate soon. Attached is a photo of the liquid and suction lines; now looking at it, im wonder if the condensation is dripping from the larger (low pressure and gas) line on top of the liquid line. Do you think wrapping or insulating that exposed part could make a difference?

Attachments

• AC.JPG
    AC.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 163

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The SEER on new units is often LOTS higher, meaning, you get more efficiency or cool for the buck when running it. The required minimum is probably higher than what your unit was when new, meaning it will cost less to cool the place.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Yes, insulation should be covering all of the pipe, however, if you’re low on refrigerant there still will be condensation but held inside the insulation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks