5600SXT with 1 1/4" Main supply Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Ed223

Reaction score
Installing a water softener in a house with 1 1/4" main supply line. I've installed a few softeners, but nothing with a supply line larger than 1". Is it standard practice and code correct to use a softener valve with 1" porting like a 5600SXT?

JM

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
not familiar with the softener but its very common situation, same with water heaters only its 3/4 and often the hot water sizing calls for 1 inch on many homes. It be a good practice to run 1 1/4 to as close as practical to softener

Ed223

Reaction score
A little more info....

4700 Sq feet, two story. There are 4 full bathrooms. Occupancy varies quite a bit. Normally 1-2 on a regular basis, but can jump to 3-4 when some or all the kids come home.... which is often. Water is very hard at 30 GPG....municipal. There was a softener previously installed just after the meter with 1 1/4" supply lines. The old bypass valve is still installed. After the first 25 feet or so from the softener location, all the lines start reducing to 1", 3/4", and 1/2". I don't want to restrict flow unnecessarily. Also, I was under the impression that UPC would not allow a reduction in piping at the softener....which seems silly when a lot of residential valves are ported at 3/4" or 1".

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
While a Fleck 5600 is available with 1" porting, the 5600 valve itself is most appropriate for a water service that is 3/4" or less.

I was under the impression that UPC would not allow a reduction in piping at the softener....which seems silly when a lot of residential valves are ported at 3/4" or 1".
The piping diameter is not to be reduced to connect a softener. The appropriate softener control valve for your application is to be equipped with 1.25" or larger connections such as the Fleck 5812 or Clack WS1.25. Both control valves are intended for residential or light commercial applications.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
A little more info....

4700 Sq feet, two story. There are 4 full bathrooms. Occupancy varies quite a bit. Normally 1-2 on a regular basis, but can jump to 3-4 when some or all the kids come home.... which is often. Water is very hard at 30 GPG....municipal. There was a softener previously installed just after the meter with 1 1/4" supply lines. The old bypass valve is still installed. After the first 25 feet or so from the softener location, all the lines start reducing to 1", 3/4", and 1/2". I don't want to restrict flow unnecessarily. Also, I was under the impression that UPC would not allow a reduction in piping at the softener....which seems silly when a lot of residential valves are ported at 3/4" or 1".
A little more info often makes a differance , It just might be technically out of code but Ive seen many softeners a pipe size under, the specs of the device and installation instructions can play a part in whether it complys. I think it will work fine , just like your water meter thats not 1 1/4 or bigger right?

Correct Answer, Change it out to 1 1/4 or Contact building department where you pulled your permit and consult with manufacture.