3" drain connection questions

Users who are viewing this thread

troyce1

Reaction score
I am trying to make sure I correctly connect 3" drain pipes that I am re-running in my house.

On a 3" drain line that is running horizontal, can I use a 45 elbow at an angle and connect that line with the main stack with a "Y" fitting.

Also can I use medium turn 90's in the waste line, or do they all need to be long sweep 90's? If not when am I allowed to use medium 90s?

And last question, for the toilet, can i use the floor flange tied into a 90deg street elbow? Using a 45 with a wye is huge, and ill have to build a bulkhead.

The attached picture of the stack in the basement:
The bottom san tee with nothing connected yet, is for the washer dryer.
The wye above that is for the cleanout.
The tee above that that has a 2" line connected is for the kitchen sink
the wye above that, is what I plan to run my second floor toilet into. I wanted to run the drain at an angle so that it is above the washer dryer, and I can keep it tighter to the ceiling. I was going to run a 45 off the 3" line, and into the wye. The attached drawing demonstrates how this would run.

Thanks for any advice, I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Attachments

• PlumbingDiagram.jpg
    PlumbingDiagram.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 147
  • photo (23).JPG
    photo (23).JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 155

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Until we know HOW you are going to run the rest of the piping and how everything will be vented, there is no way to tell if what you have is going to correct or not.

troyce1

Reaction score
The existing bathroom venting/piping is not going to be changed in location, or sizing. The kitchen sink has its own 2" vent as well

The new bathroom. In order to add the vent, the only two ways I can come up with, without dropping below the joist line, are to run the street elbow from the toilet flange into the "Y" as shown, with a new 3" vent coming off the back side of the "Y", and then running up the back side of the wall behind the toilet. (Dry fitted as shown in the Undersidebathroom pic.

Or I could switch the elbow show on the top of the vertical drain, with a "T" and run a 3" pipe across and up the back side of the vanity, and tie the vanity vent into the 3" vent. This plan however would probably drop the toilet waste line below the joist line, and I am trying to avoid additional bulkheads.

Using a 3" combo from the toilet flange will also drop me below the joist line.

Using the "Y" as shown for the toilet, and running a seperate 2" vent for the vanity and shower seems to be my best option.

I attached an updated pic of the basement tie-ins also.

Attachments

• BathroomUnderside.jpg
    BathroomUnderside.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 134
  • VentingDiagram.jpg
    VentingDiagram.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 134
  • BasementTieIns.jpg
    BasementTieIns.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 132
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks