1950s cast iron sewer line clogged

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer Peg

Reaction score
Hello and thanks in advance for your help,
While fairly handy with DIY projects, I need advice regarding our main sewer line (basement/interior/overhead). 4" pvc segment is clogged big time (tree and shrub roots near exterior seems to have started the ball rolling). Old cast iron cleanout and toilet lines with PVC segemnts installed along the way. Washing machine sump pump has taken over as main sewer line as all water and waste seeks a way out to the main city sewer. Is it possible to DIY this problem or is a plumbing professional my only option? If pro, any advice for Louisville, KY area?

Reach4

Reaction score
You have cleanouts outdoors. Do you see standing water at the bottom of the cleanout closest to the house?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I made a conscious decision to not go the root-route with my business. The reason for this is that the job can get labor intensive in a hurry. In addition, it may be necessary to bring in digging equipment to reveal and repair the broken pipe that's letting the roots in. It sort of stops being a plumbing job and starts being a digging job to my notion. I'll leave it to others.

That being said, if you have more muscle than money, go for it. I would contact a local septic tank outfit and see what they can do for you if all you need is the digging part done. Sticking the new pipes together is not a NASA project.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Much depends on how much you can do correctly. Roots enter pipes where there is a bad joint or broken pipe. If you were luckly, you might only need to dig up and replace one section. If the pipe is deep or in really bad shape for a long length, it usually requires digging with a backhoe or mini excavator to get the job done in a timely manner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks