Search results

1. John-Charleston

Push to connect brands

For those of you using push to connect fittings, do you feel all brands are created equal or do you only stick to certain brands?
  2. John-Charleston

Running new supply line under parking area

Gotcha. So Pex has a smaller id than even PB. .715 for PB and .680 for Pex. So ideally, I would upsize the Pex to 1" and take it to where it splits for the two units in the crawlspace and at that point use a 1 x 3/4 x 3/4 fitting to split the incoming line to the two supply lines (one to...
  3. John-Charleston

That's right, I mentioned PB but only to say that I removed the PB that was already in place when I bought the duplex. To my knowledge it's not even possible to buy PB plumbing these days (at least in the US).
  4. John-Charleston

At least in copper it's been working fine. Jeff, I responded before I saw your last post. Yes, I get that 3/4 is considered undersized. I'll figure out more tomorrow, thanks.
  5. John-Charleston

Sorry but you're supposing something I've never said or suggested. I'm not "trying to get the plumbers here to okay his idea" but just asking questions. Budget is not the problem (though I don't like spending money that's unnecessary) I just started with a 3/4" line and mistakenly assumed all...
  6. John-Charleston

Well I have never mentioned using PB or lead so I'm not sure where that's coming from. I didn't think of using 1" Pex because I had no idea that might be needed. The original incoming line was 3/4 copper and was working fine. Until I learned differently on this forum, I didn't know that 3/4...
  7. John-Charleston

I guess I could run copper once I have the PVC in place. It was 3/4 copper originally and there were no issues so I think that will be sufficient. This building is 70+ ft long with one unit in the front and one in the rear. The supply splits right inside the front crawlspace wall and from...
  8. John-Charleston

Gone for the evening but thanks for all of the help!
  9. John-Charleston

So looking this up I find that you're right about the dimensions but I also see this from a fine homebuilding discussion: "Having recentely spent several weeks researching PEX for an upcoming article in FHB, I can answer a couple of your questions. First, PEX, like CPVC, comes in the same ODs...
  10. John-Charleston

Really? PVC is almost 20% bigger than PEX?
  11. John-Charleston

There was actually some polybutylene with plastic fittings under the building when I bought it. The 3/4" line that carried the supply to the rear unit. I replaced that with PEX early on.
  12. John-Charleston

Not PEX, but 3/4. Coming off the meter is copper. At one point there was a PVC repair but I think it's copper under the house. 3/4 id is 3/4 no matter the material though, right?
  13. John-Charleston

That's what's there previously and it's a duplex with one meter actually. 2bdrm/1ba places and only one tenant in each. I've not had any complaints.
  14. John-Charleston

Trenchless water service & Sewer line repair, Outdoor plumbing

That mole is pretty nifty. I might look for one around here. 23' would be a lot less than they're doing in the video. Interesting comments about the black poly. I've only seen that once before in a house I was listing and I knew the home inspector would call it out. There wasn't that much...
  15. John-Charleston

Oh of course I've tried to think of an easier route but it would mean cutting through a lot of that tree's roots which not only might hurt the tree but would also put the new pipe right in the midst of the root system again. The tree is too close to the road so there's not enough room to go...
  16. John-Charleston

Yeah his points are well taken. We have no natural rocks here (Charleston, SC) but there might be construction debris under the parking area. Otherwise I would expect it to go through fairly easily. I thought if I do cut the asphalt, I'd only cut it wide enough to drop a run of 1" PVC and...
  17. John-Charleston

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I'm imagining they're pretty expensive and I'd probably rather do a cut. I might experiment with the Orbit concept and see how it goes.
  18. John-Charleston

I have a rental and tree roots have broken the supply line 2x now. I want to run a new line from the meter but it pretty much needs to cross a 23' asphalt parking area. I've read about these kits that people seem to have good success with (based on Amazon reviews) has anyone ever tried...
  19. John-Charleston

Damn it! Can I fix a Sterling vikrel tub?

I hadnt' thought of a sheet of rock hitting it. Might be what happened... It is definitely a crack though it's tight and with no movement. In the one link in my original post I have an arrow pointing to a second smaller crack. I'm guessing something hit the tub right about where the quarter...
  20. John-Charleston

Damn it! Can I fix a Sterling vikrel tub?

I'm not sure what you're saying, but yes I do realize that it's one of the strongest areas of the tub. I handled this tub every which way when I installed it with my eyes very close to it and I find it hard to believe it was cracked then and I wouldn't have seen it. I'm not sure what would...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks