Search results

1. Rap

gas water heater timers - are they worthwhile?

Are gas water heater timers worthwhile? I've never seen one in operation, and the reports by consumers and plumbers are mixed. The energy lost in make-up time seems to be the main criticism of gas w/h timers. However, this seems like a replay of the arguments of some time ago that a...
  2. Rap

Anyone know whats happening at the waterheaterrescue.com site?

The forum at waterheaterrescue.com site seems to have disappeared, and an email to them is rejected as a spam suspicious email. I'm a long time registered member so this is odd. Anyone else use them, and is also having difficulties with the site?
  3. Rap

So. Ca. Gas rule no Bonding at the water heater.

I've noticed a few posts on the issue of bonding at the water heater. FWIW: So. Ca. Gas have a regulation, "No Bonding at the water heater" - it's not permitted because they consider it to be an unsafe practice.
  4. Rap

gas meter code(s)?

Ref. gas meter code req's. for an externally fixed meter. I've just read in another place claims that, One, 3/4" plugged test tee's are not typically required in the gas pipework immediately after the gas meter. If this is correct, then how do you test the installation? Two, that after...
  5. Rap

multi head shower rough-in?

Could anyone direct me to a diagram/pics of a multi-head shower rough-in?
  6. Rap

Tempering Valves for residential water heaters.

Tempering valves(T/V) used with residential water heaters (W/H) - aka ( i believe ) Thermostatic mixing valves. 1. Their main function appears to be to protect from scalding, ( how often do first line of scald defence, residential w/h thermostats fail without isolating the gas/power?) 2...
  7. Rap

Access panels and wet walls.

It's common in the Bay Area Ca. for PI's to pick-up the lack of an access panel in a wet wall. Access is, typically, required to the fixture(s) and supplies, but also to the waste & overflow. Freestanding tubs, with their backs and works to a wall, must also be provided with a means of access...
  8. Rap

message for terry

Terry, an admin issue. I notice that there is a tom123 registered and lumped together with me. I dont recognise his posts, so, presumably, it's not some strange variation on my part. Perhaps you could seperate us. Not that i would object on principle, to being squeezed up to someone with the...
  9. Rap

calling John Bridge. Q for him?

Hi John, i didn't know that you posted on here. I'm standing at attention as i type. My question refers to my earlier post ref. the Palo Alto Bldg Dept ruling ref banning drywall in wet areas. (The post is a little down this page.) Do you have any suggestions for a secure backing for floating...
  10. Rap

City of Palo Alto rejects any drywall in wet areas - suggestions for backing?

The Building Dept of Palo Alto rejects the use of green or any other drywall in wet areas. To achieve a S&C floated surface for tile, what other backing suggestions would you recommend? Perhaps a Two-Coat float over mesh and 15 lb felt?
  11. Rap

opinions on bath tub and basin stopper designs?

We nowadays have a range of bathtub stoppers and plug arrangements, and in my opinion, the spring loaded "toe-tap" stopper is the worst design of the lot, quickly followed by "you've got to be kidding me - the works are in the waste shoe" linkage and spring pop-ups. With clevis and rods for...
  12. Rap

Dish Washer, is an air gap still a requirement?

I've noticed in another place a claim that there is now, in many states, no code requirement for using an air gap with a dish washer drain. The only requirement now is for a high-loop in the D/W drain pipe. Any comments?
  13. Rap

Who runs more plastic than copper nowadays?

I've heard guys say that they mostly use plastic in preference to copper these days - is this the common experience?
  14. Rap

Acetylene questions?

What size tips would you use with an MC Tank and/or a B Tank for a one-tip-does-it-all approach? What length of hose do you guys prefer for service or tract work? Do you have any brand preferences for hand held bottles and torch?
  15. Rap

Directions for a UPC pics web site?

Could anyone direct me to a web site(s) that illustrates the UPC in pics, diagrams or video? I already have Redwood Karmen's excellent short guide, anyone know of any other recom. books?
  16. Rap

Questions for Terry and hj ref. a past post.

Terry, you posted a pic of someone's washing machine rough-in: 09.03.2009 "Problem with laundry drain" 1. why in the pic is the "combo" facing the "wrong" way? 2. Why vent there, at that point in the waste, at all? 3. Is insulating w/m supplies req'd? hj, in the same post you say that a...
  17. Rap

Fernco and Mission fittings? Questions?

A few Q's ref. Mission and Fernco fittings: 1. Web claim that some local codes forbid using Fernco in the ground. Is this correct? 2. Claim that Mission fittings with draw-bolts wont always nip up enough? 3. Claim that Mission have thicker walls and better SS wraps than Fernco? 4...
  18. Rap

Alu and /or Zn in cold water supply.

Aluminum or Zinc particles from degrading non-magnesium anodes can find their way into the cold water side ( ie. drinking water ) if any cross connections or faulty mixer catridges or re-circulation systems are present. This subject was raised elsewhere, but no satisfactory responses were...
  19. Rap

where to find accident statistics?

Where would i find statistics ref. 1. water heater accidents. 2. construction accidents?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks