Questions for Terry and hj ref. a past post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Rap

Reaction score
Terry, you posted a pic of someone's washing machine rough-in: 09.03.2009 "Problem with laundry drain"
1. why in the pic is the "combo" facing the "wrong" way?
2. Why vent there, at that point in the waste, at all?
3. Is insulating w/m supplies req'd?

hj, in the same post you say that a rubber coupling is not allowed in interior work - could you expand on that a little.

These are FWIW questions, far be it for me to cast a critical eye - i'm simply curious.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Without a site reference I just have to guess at what you are asking.

1. If the combo is for a vent, it was probably installed the "right" way, but for vents it has to be upside down. It is not a functional difference, it just makes the inspectors happy, and that is all that matters.
2.can't tell without seeing it, but if it is the one I think it is, I have never installed a vent that way, or at that point.
3. No.

They do not provide "rididity" to the pipe, and can therefore allow it to shift out of alignment. Underground, the earth provides some rigidity, buy many areas do not allow them there either because poor compation could allow the same thing to happen and fixing it would require breaking the floor. Therefore, the only place they can "always" be used is outdoors underground, where getting to it would be "easier".

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Fittings are installed with the idea that vents flow upward and drains flow downward.

Generally speaking, every trap must have a vent, so when you are stacking 2 drains on a vertical, the lower fixture would be wet vented. Wet venting in this manner is not approved in some areas, so a re-vent is installed.

The pic I recall had the supply lines covered because they were PEX, which should not be left exposed to sunlight.

Cacher_Chick got this exactly right.
hj assumes you are retired and living in Phoenix. His inspectors are happy with the wet vent, mine aren't.
My way of plumbing it will pass in any state. hj's way will pass in Phoenix.
PEX doesn't like sunlight, so therefore they were covered.
UPC doesn't allow wet venting the laundry sink over the washer
Terry
Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited by a moderator:

Rap

Reaction score
Thank you cacher--chick and Terry. But, FWIW, why was the combo turned that way?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
qutoe; The reference was to the plumbing forum.

That was obvious, but do you know how many postings there have been since 9/3/2009? We, or at least I, would have to know the title of the posting to even try to find it.

second quote; hj assumes you are retired and living in Phoenix.

Not everyone in Phoenix is retired. I am not.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
One thing I see in Burt Polks plumbing tips that I do not like is a sanitary tee laying on its back being used to vent a toilet below the floor. I will not lay a san tee on its back where it has the possibility to be flooded by a clogged drain. I would have used a combination.

Just my preference,nothing to do with whats code and whats not.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, it is "code" when the code specifies only "sanitary style" fittings below the fixture's flood level. Nukeman, you have way too much time on your hands. I assumed that was the photo being referenced. The fitting in question is NOT a combo, but rather a sanitary tee, which is acceptable.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
It was actually easy to find since he gave the thread title and date. Just a matter of doing a VB advanced search.

It would have been better if he just replied to the thread in question and asked his questions there. That way, we could all see what he was talking about without digging up another thread.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It is confusing because you can't wet vent a laundry over a washer except in Phoenix.

You cant wet vent it, but it won't pass a plumbing inspection.
I prefer giving advice that passes inspections.

I can kiss a pig, but it's also not required, so I don't do it.
Venting both fixtures in UPC is required, so I do that.

Maybe hj is willing to fly up here to argue UPC plumbing code with my plumbing inspectors.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks