Search results

1. North Jersey

Combination waste and vent system

At some point, a washing machine appears to have been removed from the basement of my house; I see a 12-inch concrete platform right next to a wye with a test plug in the 2-inch branch inlet. As I replace that 4-inch cast iron building drain, I would like to reinstall a basement washing machine...
  2. North Jersey

Converting a house trap to PVC

I am about to replace the remaining cast iron drains in my house with PVC because they experienced an obstruction last year. The house is served by a septic system. The blockage may have arisen due to a vent stack that was converted to a soil stack back in the late 1980s without swapping the...
  3. North Jersey

Increasing domestic water pressure

What caveats should I consider as I increase my pressure switch setting from 40/60? With a new pressure switch (and potentially a new well pump), should I try 80/100? I'm planning on adding two 119 gallon pressure tanks. I expect I'll also have to upgrade my well pump. I've found no well...
  4. North Jersey

Gas pipe sizing

I've decided to run a couple new propane branches to add a dryer and a range to my home. I would appreciate input on a couple of questions: 1. In the process of evaluating the gas distribution system, I noticed the first stage from the tank is only 1/2" copper tubing, approximately 190 feet in...
  5. North Jersey

"Old Work" Gas Valve Box

Is anyone aware of a recessed gas valve box for old work? I'm thinking of something with angled interior screws to affix the box to an adjacent stud (sort of like the Arlington One-Box electrical boxes, only for a gas valve).
  6. North Jersey

Concealing a propane tank

Can you think of any reason I shouldn't install an above-ground horizontal 120 gallon tank in a recess with retaining walls to keep it out of sight? I would also plant a hedge to further conceal it.
  7. North Jersey

How to separate PVC joint in a nondestructive fashion

I dry fit a 3-inch joint to stabilize a joint I was gluing further upstream. I am not able to separate the "dry" joint at this point. I suspect the coupling is most likely only "spot welded" in a couple of spots where the primer had softened things up. The access is extremely tight, and I...
  8. North Jersey

Leach Field Cover - Infiltrators

I attached an elevation for my septic system below. How much would two feet of cover impact the aerobic activity in my septic bed? The original plans from our engineer called for reducing the orginal grade, leaving only about 8 inches of cover over the infiltrator chambers. We now have a slight...
  9. North Jersey

How to install blocking

How do you typically install blocking in a stud bay when you have vertical drains and the like in that stud bay? I've used little angle brackets before, but I'm wondering if you folks know of an easier way to secure the blocking? Specifically, I'm putting in a pedestal sink that requires some...
  10. North Jersey

Leaking Angle Supply

I have this angle supply: http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?item=430302&prod_num=7637 The angle supply has leaked gradually from the nut that clamps down on a brass sleeve, securing the vertical supply tube to the valve. I disconnected and reconnected the supply recently, and...
  11. North Jersey

How to secure black iron at the wall penetration

How should I secure 1" black iron at the wall (rim joist) penetration? Can I use a floor flange? I'll be hooking up to CSST on the inside.
  12. North Jersey

Link to the 2006 NSPC PDF

Here's the link to the 2006 NSPC (non-illustrated) http://www.nj-phcc.org/web/2006NSPCNonIllustratedWeb.pdf
  13. North Jersey

Corrugated plastic sleeve or foam for PEX slab penetration?

I've heard of plumbers using either foam or corrugated plastic sleeves for PEX slab penetrations. What do you recommend?
  14. North Jersey

The NSPC permits s-traps?

Am I mistaken, or does the following language permit the use of an s-trap?: 12.8.1 Venting of Fixture Drains Fixture drains shall have a vent so located that the vent connects above the top weir of the trap and the developed length of the trap arm is within the limits set forth in Table...
  15. North Jersey

Installing a self-contained macerator pump (Saniflo) in a pit

Wouldn't installing a self-contained Saniflo macerator pump allow me to have a smaller pit than using a traditional ejector pump in an 18x30 poly basin? Would I run less risk of smells escaping with a self-contained unit? I'm going to have to saw concrete one way or another to avoid putting the...
  16. North Jersey

Ideal location for 14"x12" hole in basement wall

I'm trying to determine the ideal location for a Takagi direct vent wall terminator. The rectangular hole will need to be about 13-3/4"x12" in the 6' wall constructed of 8" block. I'm wondering where I should locate the hole for greatest structural integrity. Where should the hole be relative to...
  17. North Jersey

Can I use a 37° flare tool for a 45° fitting?

I'm receiving conflicting information about the proper flare angle on the line set for a two-ton R410a mini split unit. Since the copper tubing is pretty maleable, do you think I could get away with using my 37° Ridgid flare tool and counting on the force exerted by the flare nut to properly...
  18. North Jersey

Takagi's new T-H2 - PVC Venting and Heat Recovery

This new unit uses PVC venting and has a second heat exchanger to recover heat from the vent stack. Ninety-five percent efficiency (LP) aside, I wonder if the savings on Cat III vent will offset the higher cost of the unit? I haven't seen prices yet. Whatever the case, this is an intriguing...
  19. North Jersey

Venting Under a Porch-National Code Reference

I finally broke down and bought a direct vent tankless water heater to overcome the combustion problem I was facing with the standard power vent model I own. At any rate, I find myself in need of venting the heater under a 7' unenclosed entry porch. I'm looking for a national code reference that...
  20. North Jersey

Class III Vent

Happy Independence Day! I understand that I need 1" clearance from combustible materials with a an unenclosed Class III stainless vent. What do you do in an instance that requires less clearance? Any ideas on how to shield combustible materials from the heat?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks