The plumbing mess under my sink- help! (Backawards ptrap, leaking, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Zennifer

Reaction score
2FB7EFB1-4742-43CD-9CF8-6C6A4EB9EACE.jpeg

2FB7EFB1-4742-43CD-9CF8-6C6A4EB9EACE.jpeg

Isn’t this delightful with its backwards ptrap? And it’s LEAKING at the red circle. This is a kitchen island.

How do I go about fixing this? I fear I can’t just replace the leaking section and flip the ptrap. The disposal pipe is a bit higher (maybe an inche or two) than the ptrap outlet, but I doubt there’s room to attach the correct way.

help! Diagrams would be amazing as I’m a visual person.

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
bummer , the good news its easy to fix with new parts. sure throw a new washer on and though Ive installed many standard hard nylon washers the newer soft rubber or silicone washers are far superb.
There is alot not to like about the installation including the droopy dishwaser hose (treat it like a drain pipe with no dips or back fall) that presumably has an airgap and gravity flows to disposal those plug up and spew water out all over the counter Id fix that too.
all those un nessesary 90s Id re do, so basically Id re do it all

Zennifer

Reaction score
Thank you! I’ll see what I can do. What would improve the disposal plumbing? (The dishwasher is actually broken and hasn’t been used for almost 10 years…so I’ll deal with that at a later time.)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
put tee on at strainer and point disposal straight into the tee. below the tee directly into the trap