Hello .

Users who are viewing this thread

RokinRandy

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Randy and I like reading the post here. Pretty good stuff. I hope you are all doing good and not getting beat up to bad.
Trying to stay cool.

I just really wanted to post and introduce myself more than anything. But I do have an easy question to go with this.easy. Probably a dumb question to go with it.

I’m the only plumber at a 13 million sq foot medical center . We that’s counting the parking lot. I consider the man holes too. I’ve Been doing plumbing for a while. And I think it is always good to someone else’s opinion. Well I mean another plumbers opinion. I haven’t really had that around in years.

It can make one not look at the books that much. That and it being on Federal ground ,we don’t have to worry about the state enforcing anything. Which I think is not good. Well. I haven’t opened my book in so long. That I don’t even know where it is at. that’s mainly why I just came by

I just installed 2 brand new commercial single compartment sinks (stainless) where they had a couple floor sink already installed so I just ordered some waste valves and some dwv copper and what not. To tie them in. I didn’t even know they had the sinks here and I didn’t know this was coming.

But I just noticed something that slipped my mind in ordering my parts. . I don’t think I ever installed one of these type that didn’t have an overflow hole pre drilled before .
I didn’t order any over flow to go with my waste valves. But I assume it will be fine. It’s just going to dump into a floor sink each with their own seperate line and floor sink. With an air gap ofcousre. If I was doing multiple I would just drill in a hole and think to myself why did they not drill the hole in these. Usually a 3 compartment

Was wondering what some of y’all would do. Would it be advised to drill in a hole for an over flow ? If so then I will need to order the over flows And all that.. asap.

But Personally , I was thinking just let it go .
I don’t think there is anything in the code book that says it is required. What would you suggest.

Next time I’ll come with a real question or maybe help someone. I didn’t mean to write a book either. I’ll slow my typing down next time as well
Thanks and Nice to meet you guys

Last edited:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I probably would. Buy a carbide tipped hole saw for stainless. Practice on a scrap piece
of stainless sheet metal. If you work at a big hospital I'm sure you have something laying around. Post a picture. I may change my mind.

RokinRandy

Reaction score
No plumbing fixture is required to have an overflow. Perhaps federal regulation may require it but that would be specific to your rules.
I forgot to reply. Yea it works great without one. Less work as well . I guess if the need arises they sell them. I have something that will punch a hole if needed. But nope , it’s all good

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks