Bathroom Sink Faucet Replacement Hose

Users who are viewing this thread

TS54530

Reaction score
Hi,

So my diverter hose under the sink (it's a Y hose mixing the hot and cold water) broke and I'm in the process of installing a new one. Everything connected well except for the valve stem of the hot water handle is too close to the sink, and the duralock connector on the hose can't snap in.

Is it possible to rotate the valve stem away from the sink? Someone told me you can't and you need to cut off the duralock connector and just insert the hose directly, and tie it down. If it's possible, how do you do it?

Thanks.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What type of handles on the faucet? If its a knob handle with no clear on or off position, then no problem with rotating generally. But if you have a lever handle, then clearly the Off and On positions are important. Most faucets have the ability to make rotational adjustments to the faucet valves. Try that first before.. actually, just dont even think about cutting the hose, thats just dumb. Figure out how to rotate the valve. Might look up the faucet manufactures instructions too.

TS54530

Reaction score
What type of handles on the faucet? If its a knob handle with no clear on or off position, then no problem with rotating generally. But if you have a lever handle, then clearly the Off and On positions are important. Most faucets have the ability to make rotational adjustments to the faucet valves. Try that first before.. actually, just dont even think about cutting the hose, thats just dumb. Figure out how to rotate the valve. Might look up the faucet manufactures instructions too.

They are lever handles. I don't have the manufacturer's instructions but I uploaded a photo of the plumbing. Based on this, does it look like the valve can be rotated?

F4EFF40D-5F3D-4F29-8F9A-FC15FC81FD7B_1_105_c.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
How about a photo from the under side of the handle itself. That will show you whether you can adjust the handles if you do rotate the valve. If you take the handle off you should see a post with vertical splines used for adjusting the lever handles to a "Flat" position. If you see those, then you can rotate.

When rotateing the valve and retightening it, it helps to have someone operate the handle and keep it in the straight/Flat position.

TS54530

Reaction score
The video is great, thanks. I see that I need to remove the mounting nut right at the top. I bought a basin wrench but the nut is too thin for the wrench to grab onto it. A regular wrench won't work because there's not enough space. Any advice how how to remove the thin mounting nut?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A basin wrench will work, but its very tricky for the reason you noticed. The trick is to use one hand to hold onto the Tee handle for leverage and use your other hand to keep the wrench jaws aligned on the nut. Once aligned you keep steady pressure on the Tee handle and it should then move. Keep your other hand out of the jaws, just in case it slips while turning.

Every plumber here has likely shed blood turning those nuts.

You may be able to get a pair of pliers up there, but the space is very tight and the angles are not favorable.

basin-wrench-ridgid.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks