Electrical Box recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
I wonder if there are any particular brands or model lines of breaker boxes to use or to stay clear of?

I need a new 200 amp service box that will feed a subpanel on a higher floor.

Would appreciate recommendations.

Thanks!

Onokai

Reaction score
I am partial to GE-Sylvania- Square D
Siemens-select models only
I dislike cutler hammer as they changed the line years ago on me and all the old ones no longer fit.
I was a square D fan but the supplier around here quit carrying the so now that a nightmare.
The new boxes have new features like breakers with both neutral and hot going into the breakers and much better cleaner boxes.
I like the top feed wire feed 200 amp boxes over a sealed side section of the box with buss bars from the meter socket. to the side section of breakers (avoid this style at all costs)Nor enough room for all the wires in the future.
There are some newer styles out now so take some time looking-I favor the newer square Ds but I cannot get them where I live.
The new quick grip square Ds boxes are pretty slick along with the neutral bar as part of setup
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-...h-Cover-Value-Pack-HOM4080M200PQCVP/301278214

here's a link to many box reviews
https://www.galvinpower.org/best-200-amp-panels/
avoid this one
https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-MC20...ocphy=9032371&hvtargid=pla-319778563904&psc=1

genmaster

Reaction score
I'm partial to Square D QO panels myself. The layout of their ground and neutral busses often helps to eliminate or minimize the need to add a trough for splicing above the new panel when updating or upgrading a service. Their breakers also have an orange trip indicator which is helpful for homeowners to identify a tripped breaker.

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
For residential I like Siemens copper bus. QO is good too, but the tubs tend to be a little small for my liking.

For commercial I like Square D QOB (bolt-on QO) for the small stuff, I-Line for the big stuff.

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
Thank you all so very much!

Sounds like I won't go wrong with QO.

Can you share any tips or configuration preferences for adding a sub for the second floor?

Something like: QO154M200PQ

Do we like the plug on neutral?

Do we like the quick grip?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plug on neutral--yes if a majority of the circuits you are installing will require AFCI. Maybe even if it's only 1/3. Have only used one, but I don't see a downside.

Qwik-grip--haven't tried it, have heard mixed reviews. I think quicker for new installs where everything is flat NM #12 and smaller. Not sure about bigger wires or how it works in future remodel work.

Cheers, Wayne

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
Plug on neutral--yes if a majority of the circuits you are installing will require AFCI. Maybe even if it's only 1/3. Have only used one, but I don't see a downside.

Qwik-grip--haven't tried it, have heard mixed reviews. I think quicker for new installs where everything is flat NM #12 and smaller. Not sure about bigger wires or how it works in future remodel work.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks!

Yes, nearly all circuits will be #12, and so many are now required to be AFCI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks