Leaking shut off valve, gate valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Martini

Reaction score
I have a shut off valve that goes to an outside spigot that leaks when it's turned on (the packing nut is cracked).

Is it possible to replace just the nut and the insides? If that's possible, I'd rather do that then cut it out as my plumbing skills are limited and as shown in the pic, there is wood that needs to be cut away for access. If it's possible, any idea what I need to purchase?

1.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Don't think you will match up that valve for the parts. Guess the two water lines left side of pic the right line is the one feeding the valve. The wood would have to be cut back so the old valve could be cut out. If there is enough distance between the water pipe feeding the valve and line going outside sharkbite valve (3.06")and sharkbite slip coupling.
( 4 .5" end to end ) would work without soldering.
https://www.sharkbite.com/products/brass-push-slip-coupling

Martini

Reaction score
Guess the two water lines left side of pic the right line is the one feeding the valve.
The right side of the valve goes outside to the spigot.

The wood would have to be cut back so the old valve could be cut out.
Do you think it would weaken support? I'm nervous that the wood works as a support beam.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
never say never its posible you might be able to buy a valve and replace the nut take some more pics, measurements etc. and go on a journey. My son in law had a similar issue and got luckey at a local hardware. I advised it was doubtful but couldnt hurt except rob your time and he pulled it off.

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some have parts that seem to be universal and some you can hang it up. Best bet is to take the parts with you and see if something matches if you don’t want to replace.

Fitter30

Reaction score
The right side of the valve goes outside to the spigot.

Do you think it would weaken support? I'm nervous that the wood works as a support beam.
I was writing about the two lines in your pic left side feeding the valve. Can't make a determination on that support by just that one pic

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks