Softener Recommendation Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

hankscaddy

Reaction score
We bought a house in Knoxville TN in OctobertOctober has hard water measured at 12gpg with Hach 5-b. I've read many of the posts here and see that the Flecks are highly recommended and local purchase is also required. I called a local plumbing supplier looking for recommendations and was passed to Lancaster Water Group who appear to have their own softener brand (http://lancasterwatergroup.com/water-treatment/residential-water-treatment/#water-softeners). The LX Diamond (7-LX-100B) is what was recommended to me by the rep (http://lancasterwatergroup.com/wp-c...288002_LancasterPump_X-Factor_LX_Softners.pdf). My question is how would this unit compare to a Fleck 5600 or 5600 SXT and should I pursue another company that sells Flecks?

Bannerman

Reaction score
should I pursue another company that sells Flecks?
Yes!

Either Fleck or Clack. Contact generic (non proprietary) water treatment professionals in your area to identify the control valve brands they are authorized sell and service.

The Fleck 5600SXT is an old design which is best suited to 3/4" or smaller plumbing. If the main plumbing feed into your home is 1" or larger, then you need to be looking at a Fleck 5810 or 5812 or Clack WS1 or WS1.25.

DIYMissus

Reaction score
I am going to shyly raise my hand and say that local purchase is not required. I bought my unit from Apluswater on eBay. My water is a difficult case 120 gpg plus iron . They recommended the same unit that was recommended on here and watersoftenerparts.com. I bought a 64K twin tank Fleck 9100 SXT valve. I was very happy with the product and customer support. They even have some DIY install videos that were good enough to get our system going. Even though there is some disagreement on the quality of the instructions. It was a while after purchase that I did the fine tunings so I came here for the expert advice. Another way to find Fleck or Clack dealers is to contact Fleck or Clack directly usually companies are more then happy to give you a list of dealers in your area.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If the price is reasonable then definitely buy local. You will get a level of support that the online companies simply can't do. Unfortunately, most of the online companies are in such a battle to be the lowest price that they use lots of cheap components in their system builds including counterfeit valves. The system that was recommended to you appears to be a proprietary Clack valve, excellent valve and it should serve you well for decades.

Treeman

Reaction score
ditttohead, please explain proprietary Clack valve. Does it contain parts that are unique and can only be serviced by Lancaster? Or, is it just a Clack valve with Lancaster's name on it? Could any licensed plumber service the valve with easily available Clack parts?

To the original poster, be wary of internet amplification and "maybe" your sense of Fleck being the only "best" valve. As others above mentioned, Clack is also very great (I am pleased with mine) and before this I had an Autotrol that lasted over 15 years with zero repairs required.

thank you.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It is likely that most of the internal parts are the same, the control board, backplate, tank connection, electronics, programming are all unique, the internal guts are likely the same. Clack, Fleck, Autotrol, all the best of the best. Each has a few quirks and minor things that I don't like, but these are mostly just tiny gripes about them not being absolutely perfect in every way... silly critiques. And these complaints are actually always being addressed by Fleck and Clack. They continually innovate and improve their products.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks