Closed-cell Spray Foam over Uponor PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

chris_

Reaction score
Planning to have spray foam insulation installed in a gut renovation, closed cell Lapolla Foam-Lok 4000. Water supplies are Uponor PEX with EP fittings throughout. There are a few places where there are EP fittings that might end up getting coated with spray foam.

Uponor's installation guide indicates the below.

Spray-foam insulation
Uponor approves the use of spray-foam insulation directly on its PEX pipe and ProPEX LF brass fittings. However, ProPEX EP fittings require an overwrap of 4 to 6 mil poly or other suitable waterproof protection.

Wondering if others have taken these precautionary steps and if someone could provide more guidance on how exactly to install such an overwrap? Wrap poly around the fitting but secure with what? Tape? (thought tape was a no-no on as the adhesive would ultimately damage the pipe.

Any guidance is appreciated!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For tees and elbows, I would think using a premade foam rubber pipe insulation piece would be a quick option. They are preslit with adhesive to close up the slit once installed, but are not adhered to the fitting. To account for the expansion ring diameter, use one nominal size larger, e.g. a 3/4" elbow insulation for a 1/2" EP elbow.

Another option if you want to use tape is just to use it backwards, with the sticky face out. Then the tape is only sticking to itself, but if you spiral wrap it with overlap, it should provide the barrier you need.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think a couple nylon ties would hold the polyethylene sheet in position.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks