SEPTIC TANK INSTALLATION DEPTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Jazzman

Reaction score
Hey, can anyone tell me what the code is for setting a septic tank. I’m replacing an old steel tank with a code approved 1,000 gallon norwesco tank. There’s a layer of bedrock at about 48” so I’m not sure how much I will need to jackhammer to get tank installed properly. You can buy a riser as short as 6” high so that suggests that 6” of cover is minimum required. I’m located in central Oregon.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
No relevant experience... I think if there were a fixed depth minimum for the top of the tank, it would be mentioned here:
https://www.clackamas.us/septic/guideseptictankreplace.html says

Bedding material (for example, pea gravel) is placed in the bottom of the excavation to provide a stable leveling base. The tank must be placed level from side-to-side and end-to-end. The depth of excavation must be determined before setting the tank to insure that the building sewer pipe can maintain the minimum/maximum grade set by the plumbing code once it is connected to the tank inlet fitting.
Farther down in the document, the "Septic tank placemement [sic] for systems that were built before July of 1977" section talks of what you can do if replacing an old installation that does not conform to the newest regs.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Unless you have a sewage pump, the tank depth would be determined by the height of the inlet and the outlet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks