SEPTIC TANK INSTALLATION DEPTH

Discussion in 'Plumbing Code Questions' started by Jazzman, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman Member

Hey, can anyone tell me what the code is for setting a septic tank. I’m replacing an old steel tank with a code approved 1,000 gallon norwesco tank. There’s a layer of bedrock at about 48” so I’m not sure how much I will need to jackhammer to get tank installed properly. You can buy a riser as short as 6” high so that suggests that 6” of cover is minimum required. I’m located in central Oregon.

Thanks!

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

No relevant experience... I think if there were a fixed depth minimum for the top of the tank, it would be mentioned here:
    https://www.clackamas.us/septic/guideseptictankreplace.html says

Bedding material (for example, pea gravel) is placed in the bottom of the excavation to provide a stable leveling base. The tank must be placed level from side-to-side and end-to-end. The depth of excavation must be determined before setting the tank to insure that the building sewer pipe can maintain the minimum/maximum grade set by the plumbing code once it is connected to the tank inlet fitting.
    Farther down in the document, the "Septic tank placemement [sic] for systems that were built before July of 1977" section talks of what you can do if replacing an old installation that does not conform to the newest regs.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    Unless you have a sewage pump, the tank depth would be determined by the height of the inlet and the outlet.

5. Jazzman

Jazzman Member

Thanks for all of your input!