Sediment filter recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Hongster

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I got a question regarding a sediment filter I have infront of my softener. It's currently an iSpring spindown filter that isn't doing a great job of flushing down sand and silt that's coming from my well. I end up having to take apart the filter frequently and having to manually clean the filters with a toothbrush.

My options are to try a different spindown filter(rusco? I see the atlas Hydra recommended here but I can't find it online) or go with a Pentek filter housing and use disposable filters.

Any recommendations or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Hongster.

Reach4

Reaction score
Tell us about the sediment that that filter catches. Is it sand, or what?

Any estimate of the volume of sediment? 1/2 cup per month?

Hongster

Reaction score
Probably a sand/clay mixture. I need to flush/clean the filter maybe once every 3 weeks to get back water pressure to the house. When I flush using the iSpring filter it doesn't do a good enough of a job to clean out the particles so I end up taking the filter out and scrubbing the mesh filter with a toothbrush.

Volume isn't a lot but it's clogging up the mesh filter and dropping my water pressure. Maybe a tea spoon or less.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I sent you a PM, I can make recommendations of where to buy the Hydra. They are not supposed to be sold online for a multitude of reasons. Primarily many companies selling water treatment don't want the liability of some DIY'r with no clue installing their equipment and causing damage... I agree.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
I use the big blue 4.5x20" filter housings. I was using a 4.5x10 and string wound 5 micron filter after my well and before the softener. Switched to the 2o" long model to increase water flow and less filter changes. I just installed a poly gradient style water filter to try out. It filters out from the outside in gradually down to 5 micron. Supposedly will hold more sediment. I tried a pleated filter but they just turned into a soggy mess.

Reach4

Reaction score
I tried a pleated filter but they just turned into a soggy mess.
You should not use a cellulose filter with well water.

I am also using polypropylene gradient filters, but I am not sure if that is better or worse than a good pleated filter.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/APEC-Water-Systems-Whole-House-4-5-in-x-20-in-30-Micron-Reusable-and-Pleated-Sediment-Filter-FI-SED20-BB/206501573 is a washable pleated polyester filter. I have not tried a washable cartridge. I replace my filters less frequently than annually.

My backwashing iron+H2s filter is first in line. So not much makes it my 20x4.5 cartridges. Maybe I should have had a course sand/pebble filter before the backwashing filter.

Hongster

Reaction score
My main concern is is water pressure. I want the setup to maximize my water pressure.

I will take some pictures of my filter screen from my iSpring tomorrow to show the sediments.

I am open to installing a big blue filter housing if it will help in the long term or the Hydra if that is adequate.

Last edited:

Taylorjm

Reaction score
The 4.5x20 with a poly gradient filter to 5 micron can push 20gpm. Way more than your well pump can probably provide.

Hongster

Reaction score
20191222_161352.jpg
20191222_161637.jpg

Here is the filter with the sediments on it. And a picture of it scrapped off the filter for a close up. If feels like clay.

Reach4

Reaction score
Interesting and surprising pictures.

It doesn't look like clay to me, but I am no expert on that. If you put common clay into a lidded glass jar, and shake it, I would expect clay to make the water cloudy, and then expect the clay particles to settle to the bottom in some amount of time. I have never seen colloidal clay.

Have you ever sanitized your well? https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing write-up.

Hongster

Reaction score
We brought the house maybe 3 years ago and a water test and didn't find any issues. So it hasn't been santized yet.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I would question the size of the screen that was put in at the bottom of the well. It looks like it's really allowing a lot of particles through the pump that shouldn't be there. But I guess I would first get a higher capacity filter, or first one of those spin down filters that pick up the bigger stuff and let you drain it out at the bottom when it's full, then a 4.5x10 or 4.5x20 filter housing with a good sediment filter.

Reach4

Reaction score
I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I would question the size of the screen that was put in at the bottom of the well. It looks like it's really allowing a lot of particles through the pump that shouldn't be there.
You seem to see things way differently than I do.

So it hasn't been santized yet.
I propose an experiment. Put your sediment into two jars equally. Add water to about 1/2 inch from the tops. To one, add a tablespoon of liquid chlorine bleach (overkill). Put the lids on and observe. I don't think the bleach would have observable effect on clay. Tomorrow shake the jars. Compare again.

Hongster

Reaction score
Thanks reach. I washed this sample off but I will have jars ready to test on a smaller sample hopefully in a couple of days.

DetRack

Reaction score
This looks more like organic residue to me. Not sure if a disc filter would be effective against it, though. Is it possible you have snails in the well?

If it‘s real clay particulate, it won‘t settle in a glass of water. I have some clay particulate in my irrigation well. Pita until you get a filtration and backwash/blow-down solution that is fast to operate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks