Thump from under bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Laura61377

Reaction score
For the last two weeks we have been experiencing a thump you can feel and hear coming from under the tub when ever someone steps in or fills the tub with water. I was wondering what this could be and if I should be worried? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Tub flexing. Your tub is not cast iron. If you wanted to stop it, you might be able to get something under there.

Is the tub over a basement?

Laura61377

Reaction score
Tub flexing. Your tub is not cast iron. If you wanted to stop it, you might be able to get something under there.

Is the tub over a basement?
our house is 100 years old with a michigan wall basement. the bathroom is an addition, don't know when it was added, and sits over a very shallow crawlspace, just enough room for pipes

JerryR

Reaction score
I had to re-read this twice. Without my glasses I thought it said TRUMP from under the bathtub.

You never know.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I thought the same, trump was under the tub.

If it is a standard steel tub a filler is placed under the tub when it was installed. Usually it was a bed of mortar and new tubs today it is a block of foam. This supports the weakest part of the tub. Since the cold weather has hit and the heat is on, the wood is drying out and shrinking thus leaving a gap. When the weather warms up and spring rains start, it’ll probably go away.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks