Water getting cool

Users who are viewing this thread

charles1983

Reaction score
hello I have a single wide mobile home with I think a 40 gallon water heater it looks newer then the home which is a 1996 I usually get about 10-15 min of hot water but recently its been getting shorter then longer
ex. my wife fills the tub about half with hot water and it fills it just fine then the next day or two she does it again but the tub doesn't get even close to half before it turns cool/cold..
some info on water heater that I seen
product number --- 0826114
model number--- MHE2F40RS035V
its a Whirlpool
and I'm pretty sure its a 40 gallon

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a 40 gallon. It may be a 2008 water heater.
If the top element goes out you will have no hot water. If the lower element goes out, then only the top half heats.
At ten years, depending on your water quality, it could be filling with lime. That would be a local thing depending on the water source.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could replace the elements, but as Terry mentioned, at 10 years old, you ought to be thinking about replacing the WH.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
This is your model. Typical mobile homes use side connection water heaters since space is at a premium. Your problem usually is a bad element and sometimes a bad thermostat. All inexpensive parts but it could be a bear getting the elements out. This is only a six year warranty model which it is the minimum offered by all manufactures on their bottom line water heaters. Generally the quality is not there for longevity. The are plenty of you tube video's on how to change the electric elements and if you do replace both of them.

Just a note the new energy requirements for water heaters really up the ante on them and the insulation is far thicker and it is closed cell foam. Therefore, a new water heater may be about two inches wider or more. Measure your space first before going shopping and you'll find that the price doubled since 2008.

Because mobile homes are built with low cost in mind, take a look at the wattage of the heating elements on the data plate (not listed on line at Whirlpool.com) and the size of the circuit breaker. If it reads 4500 watts at 240 volts the breaker must be 30 amp feeding the water heater with 10 gauge wire. If it reads 3500 watt at 240 then the breaker will probably be 20 amp feeding the water heater with 12 gauge wire.

I say this because most mobile homes were built using the lower wattage water heater, hence, 12 gauge wire and 20 amp breaker because of lower cost. But if this was changed since it was built, most don't know this or don't care and install a higher wattage unit because all there is at HD or Lowe's. Lower wattage elements are available so the elements can changed out.

MHE2F40RS035V.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks