Proposed Old House Wiring Retrofit Method. Code Compliance

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello,
Would like to know if the following is code compliant. The proposed method for adding wiring to this old house is:
1. Run MC cable into the attic
2. Drill holes in ceiling along wall, and drop down into the living space with MC cable
3. Strip MC cable where it enters living space.
4. Run Stripped MC cable in plastic wire mold to matching plastic switch and outlet boxes.

This method would avoid cutting and adding boxes to walls that are solid planking with limited cavity space.

Thanks in Advance

Stuff

Reaction score
It is code compliant as long as you use the proper fitting to transition from MC to wire mold. I have seen one for going to metal wire mold; don't know if it is also listed for plastic. There is some debate but lots believe that the fitting needs to be accessible. The wires in MC are normally marked as THHN or similar which is what allows them to be run in a raceway.

So yes, allowed but not recommended except by the wiremold manufacturers. It may be difficult but unless it is a shop or commercial space it doesn't look good.

Molo

Reaction score
It is code compliant as long as you use the proper fitting to transition from MC to wire mold. I have seen one for going to metal wire mold; don't know if it is also listed for plastic. There is some debate but lots believe that the fitting needs to be accessible. The wires in MC are normally marked as THHN or similar which is what allows them to be run in a raceway.

So yes, allowed but not recommended except by the wiremold manufacturers. It may be difficult but unless it is a shop or commercial space it doesn't look good.

Thanks. How about this:
1. Use a plastic wiremold that is large enough to cover the MC cable.
2. Leaave the cladding on for only an inch into the plastic wiremold (the rest that runs through the wiremold will be stripped)
3. Avoid the use of an adapter between the MC cable and plastic wiremold

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks. How about this:
1. Use a plastic wiremold that is large enough to cover the MC cable.
2. Leaave the cladding on for only an inch into the plastic wiremold (the rest that runs through the wiremold will be stripped)
3. Avoid the use of an adapter between the MC cable and plastic wiremold

No. The end of the MC must be properly terminated in a fitting that is rated for such.

If it were my project, I would terminate the MC at a box in the attic, and then pull NM cable from the box through the wall to device boxes, even if the boxes need to be surface mounted.
I do everything I can to avoid wiremold.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
No. When you strip the cladding off the MC, it is no longer MC. Both ends of the metallic cable sheath
need to end in listed devices/fittings, i.e. MC clamps in a metallic box, or perhaps something else
if it is listed for the purpose. Likewise, the wiremold needs to begin with an approved transition
device (because you are transitioning from one wiring method to another). You cannot just make a
hole in it and shove some wires in. Also, the "code" that applies to you is your LOCAL code, and
surface non-metallic raceway and device boxes may not even be allowed.

Molo

Reaction score
No. When you strip the cladding off the MC, it is no longer MC. Both ends of the metallic cable sheath
need to end in listed devices/fittings, i.e. MC clamps in a metallic box, or perhaps something else
if it is listed for the purpose. Likewise, the wiremold needs to begin with an approved transition
device (because you are transitioning from one wiring method to another). You cannot just make a
hole in it and shove some wires in. Also, the "code" that applies to you is your LOCAL code, and
surface non-metallic raceway and device boxes may not even be allowed.

1. If plastic is allowed, maybe I can find an approved adapter for transitioning from MC to Plastic wiremold. I want to have all MC in the attic and need to be in the living space with a wiremold because of the inaccessibility of the wall cavity.

This may work: http://www.frostelectric.com/buy/pr...486?process=search&qdx=0&ID=/WIREMOLD/mfr-3GT

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What is the wall construction? With the proper tools, fishing wire into a typical wall can be done most of the times making surface mounting look poor and kind of klutzy.

Molo

Reaction score
What is the wall construction? With the proper tools, fishing wire into a typical wall can be done most of the times making surface mounting look poor and kind of klutzy.

Some of the walls have two layers of 1" plank and plaster and lathe or drywall on top of it. Making a narrow wall which presents the problem of minimum distance from surface of framing member. Trying to find a solution to run it inside the wall. Perhaps a lot of metal wallplate.......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks