Well to storage tank into house

Users who are viewing this thread

Martin Karakas

Reaction score
Hi, I have a well with a submersible pump that pumps water up and over a ridge (approx 3o feet high) then down to the house (approx 40 feet down from ridge). The water travels around 200-250 feet. Currently the water goes to a pressure tank beside the house and water pressure is no issue. Because of water supply issues in the summer (the well sometimes goes dry) we are adding a storage tank that we are going to locate on top of the ridge. Our pressure tank also broke. I am thinking of putting a 2000 gallon or larger storage tank on the ridge and having it gravity feed to house. I am wondering if the pressure isnt enough for the shower what is the best option to increase pressure? Would a booster pump be enough or do I need a booster pump-pressure tank combo? Or any other ideas? If so any suggestions on best brand/size. I am thinking of putting the booster pump right before plumbing enters the house.

Thanks a mil for any suggestions!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Lot of ways to skin that cat, but 40' elevation is only 17 PSI. I don't think you would be happy with that, 40 to 60 PSI is more common. The closer to the storage tank the better for the booster pump. You can also put a submersible inside the storage tank. Here are a couple of drawings of how you can do it. A Cycle Sensor on the well pump will protect it from dry run, and another on the booster pump will protect it if the storage tank runs dry.
LOW YIELD WELL_and storage with two PK1A.jpg

LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I am thinking of putting a 2000 gallon or larger storage tank on the ridge and having it gravity feed to house.
Having some pressure would be good in a power outage, but what protects that tank from freezing?

Martin Karakas

Reaction score
Hi Thank you kindly for your response and your great suggestions. To clarify, with the booster pump option, does that mean I can use it without any pressure tank to increase the pressure in the house? And your suggestion to place booster pump next to the storage tank, since the house is a good 80 or so feet away from storage tank and downhill, why would this option be better than placing it just before piping enters house.

Thanks again!

Martin Karakas

Reaction score
Having some pressure would be good in a power outage, but what protects that tank from freezing?
Where I live, most people have no protection for their water storage tanks as the temperature rarely goes below freezing and when it does it is usually just for a few days at a tiime. Thanks

Martin Karakas

Reaction score
Lot of ways to skin that cat, but 40' elevation is only 17 PSI. I don't think you would be happy with that, 40 to 60 PSI is more common. The closer to the storage tank the better for the booster pump. You can also put a submersible inside the storage tank. Here are a couple of drawings of how you can do it. A Cycle Sensor on the well pump will protect it from dry run, and another on the booster pump will protect it if the storage tank runs dry.
View attachment 39993
View attachment 39995
Hi Thank you kindly for your response and your great suggestions. To clarify, with the booster pump option, does that mean I can use it without any pressure tank to increase the pressure in the house? And your suggestion to place booster pump next to the storage tank, since the house is a good 80 or so feet away from storage tank and downhill, why would this option be better than placing it just before piping enters house.

Thanks again!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

Thanks again!

With a CSV you don't need a very large pressure tank, but you need a tank. Even the so called "tanless" controls have a little teaspoon size pressure tank built in, you just can't see it.

A jet pump can draw water from a long ways. But it is always better to push water than to suck water. Drawing from that far you need to make sure the pipe is large enough to keep the velocity less than 2 feet per second and make sure there are no dips and high spots in the suction line. Also the longer the suction line the more chances of a suction leak.

Martin Karakas

Reaction score
Hi, yes that makes sense what you are saying, but would the booster pump need to suck if it was 40 feet below the storage tank, wouldnt there be enough pressure to get into the pump before being pumped into little pressure tank. thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as the pipe is large enough 40' of drop will feed the pump with 17 PSI. But if the line is too small it can change from positive pressure to negative pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks