Best seat for Eco Drake?

Users who are viewing this thread

daniel501

Reaction score
I posted earlier looking for a standard height 1.28 gpf recommendation and settled on the Eco Drake...

But it needs a seat... And the SS114 seems to be the standard Toto recommended seat for this toilet, but reading reviews online it doesn't seem to do so well... It's described as flimsy and wobbly... And apparently it was redesigned recently and isn't as good as the old SS114, so I shouldn't look at old reviews.

So what's the best seat to go with my Eco Drakes today in 2017? Thank you!

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I think the SS114 is a nice seat. What some people consider "flimsy and wobbly", other people consider soft and comfortable. The stiffer the seat, the less comfortable it is for many people. If it's plastic, making it softer and bendier can make it feel better. People can be very quick to judge and offer silly opinions when they don't understand something. (The cheapo toilet that I helped a friend put into high-service use in her bar a few years ago came with a plastic seat that seemed "flimsy". I thought it would be broken within a week and bought a professional seat to install when it did. Despite very-aggressive, high-volume use, that dang seat still looks and works like new. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I have to say that the manufacturer knew what it was doing in terms of its survivability.)

Toto is a premium product; it's not like they're going to use less plastic and make something that might break in order to save money. To the contrary, they spend a ridiculous amount of money on engineering, and follow the Japanese practice of constant improvement. So if they change the seat, they do it for improvement, not to try to save a nickel by making it "cheap" or "flimsy". Both versions of the SS114 are great; they just look a bit different.

That said, toilet seats are a personal preference; as with mattresses, one size may technically "fit" all, but isn't the most comfortable for all. We have the SS114 on one toilet, and the person that uses that toilet primarily loves it. In some other bathrooms, we have the Mayfair painted wood seats, which are hard and inflexible, but which a lot of us like. (Mayfair and Bemis and Church are the same company, just different distribution channels.)

The key on the Mayfair/Bemis seats is that you want the ones that have the following features: Easy-Clean-And-Change Hinges, Sta-Tite fastening system and Whisper Close (i.e. slow close) system. They come in plastic and in wood. The easy-clean hinges make it possible just to pull the seat off when you want to deep-clean the porcelain. The sta-tite fastening system is a huge feature, because when you put it in right, the attachment points don't move laterally or come loose; many seats end up loosening and moving laterally eventually. These don't. The whisper close is very nice, as with the Toto, it takes a bit of getting used to; your inclination is to force it down, and once you have had it a while you will drop the toilet seat at your neighbor's house because you have become accustomed to not having to put down carefully.

This is essentially the one we have; it comes in various model numbers depending upon brand. http://www.toiletseats.com/model-fa...able-plastic-whisper-close-easy-clean-change/

daniel501

Reaction score
I chose this one at Home Depot, which I think is essentially the same Bemis seat you're talking about:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEMIS-Sl...t-Toilet-Seat-in-White-1570SLOW-000/204599315

Thanks!

bemis-color-match-white.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks