San Tee Backwards

Users who are viewing this thread

jacksmith7

Reaction score
SanTee.jpg
We roughed in the plumbing for a bathroom in our boat house (pole barn) and the san tee for the shower/toilet vent was installed backwards. Unfortunately, I didn't notice this until I reviewed the pictures after the plumbing was all buried. Since this will be a dry vent, is there any problem with leaving it this way?

Obviously, I'm an amateur and I did this myself as there are no plumbers where this building is located. Any comments on the rest of the setup would also be greatly appreciated. I should also mention the two vents will join about 9 feet above the floor and continue through the roof as one. The washer will be dry-vented when the final plumbing is installed above the floor.

If I replace the backwards san tee with a combo or wye + 1/8, should it be rolled up to 45 degrees?

Last edited:

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not a plumber, but I see other issues:

1. The santee from shower to toiler should be a combo (or wye + 1/8)
2. The shower vent should be vertical until 6" above flood rim (or 42" in some areas)
3. most places won't let you wet vent a clothes washer

jacksmith7

Reaction score

2. The shower vent should be vertical until 6" above flood rim (or 42" in some areas)

Thank you. I clarified my original post.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; 3. most places won't let you wet vent a clothes washer

Most places do not allow you to use the washer for the wet vent, but you can wet vent over the washer drain. The shower connection to the main line SHOULD also be a combo, not a sanitary tee.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 3x2 San tee should be a combo, the 2x2 San tee should be a combo. You can't flat vent the shower, you can't wet vent anything other than bath room fixtures.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; you can't wet vent anything other than bath room fixtures.

Who made that rule, and when was it done, because I have never heard of it, and must have violated it many times.

jacksmith7

Reaction score
quote; 3. most places won't let you wet vent a clothes washer

Most places do not allow you to use the washer for the wet vent, but you can wet vent over the washer drain. The shower connection to the main line SHOULD also be a combo, not a sanitary tee.
The 3x3x2 san tee connecting the shower to the main line was already there when we completed the rough-in and was (supposedly) installed by a plumber. Since you emphasized "SHOULD", does that mean the shower will still drain okay with the 3x3x2 san tee but it is just not to code? Thank you for any advice.

jacksmith7

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded with advice. I'm going to tear out this whole mess and make the following changes:

1. Replace the 3x3x2 sanitary tee going from the main line to the shower trap with a combo fitting.
2. Replace the backwards sanitary tee for the shower vent with a wye fitting + 1/8 and roll the wye up to 45 degrees. Would this be correct?
3. When I put in the new 2" wye + 1/8 for the washer/sink vent, should it be rolled up to 45 degrees?
4. When I do the final plumbing, the washer will be dry-vented and the two vertical vent stacks will join about 9 feet above the floor before extending through the roof of the pole barn as one stack.

Any other comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score

Who made that rule, and when was it done, because I have never heard of it, and must have violated it many times.

All recent code books say that only bath fixtures, lav, tub, shower, toilet and floor drains can be wet vented. All other fixtures, kitchen sinks, mop sinks, washers etc can't be. IPC, UPC, NSPC

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Since we pull permits, we have to do it to code.
Try pulling a permit and wet venting a non bathroom group. See how that goes for you.

jacksmith7

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded with advice. I'm going to tear out this whole mess and make the following changes:

1. Replace the 3x3x2 sanitary tee going from the main line to the shower trap with a combo fitting.
2. Replace the backwards sanitary tee for the shower vent with a wye fitting + 1/8 and roll the wye up to 45 degrees. Would this be correct?
3. When I put in the new 2" wye + 1/8 for the washer/sink vent, should it be rolled up to 45 degrees?
4. When I do the final plumbing, the washer will be dry-vented and the two vertical vent stacks will join about 9 feet above the floor before extending through the roof of the pole barn as one stack.

Any other comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Any answers to questions 2 and 3 would be appreciated. Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The last home I did was about 2 years ago, but that one had a wet bar, and laundry sink wet vented. There was a third fixture on the riser, but I do not remember if it had its own vent or not.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any answers to questions 2 and 3 would be appreciated. Thanks.
Nope on 3. Vents must rise vertically until they are 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture served by the branch. In this case, the lav.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks