Recent content by Gregee

1. Gregee

Advice on new Heat Pump

Had 3 year old Lennox heat pump installed (XP14 with VS air handler) to replace a Trane XL13i (with VS air handler). Not been thrilled with Lennox, but regret not buying another Trane (American Standard). With weather now fluctuating a lot more (with some lows near 0F in DC/MD/VA), I'd...
  2. Gregee

Gas_Fireplace

Heard back from Regency. They strongly recommend against wrapping their fireboxes with insulation because of plastic parts that won't tolerate the increased heat retention. I'm a little surprised to read that given their owner's manual mentions nothing about that caveat. Suffice it say I have...
  3. Gregee

Gas_Fireplace

Pulled open the firebox surround trimplate and fireglass to do some cleaning (i.e. removed spider webs and cleaned the interior glass). While apart, I took the liberty tucking rockwool insulation around and atop of the firebox. None of the owner's manual mentions (or even warns against this)...
  4. Gregee

Brand new, one-piece TOTO leaks through the porous tank wall?!

I think the OP should trial all of these methods! As Cap'n Kirk told Scotty, "Do it do it do it!" Greg
  5. Gregee

Brand new, one-piece TOTO leaks through the porous tank wall?!

Just as an experiment, I'd love to see how well a shower membrane held up under such conditions. While I'd like to see how well Schluter's kerdi membrane would do long term, a much easier application of a liquid membrane such as CBP's Redgard would be an ideal product to try. Greg
  6. Gregee

Gas_Fireplace

I have experience with multiple trades, but not much with gas-fitting and not sure where to post this, so I'll start here... Had a Regency Horizon HR14E/LR14E gas fireplace insert installed a while back and while it's worked ok, it works just ok. Meaning the flame starts off nicely with...
  7. Gregee

Kerdi shower leak test .. tiny bubble forming, where could it be from?

Please post some distant photos of your shower floor. Looks like pre-applied kerdi wallboard but you mentioned thinsetting kerdi sheeting directly to your sloped mudbed, correct? Did you allow it to cure for 24 hours or more? I've used kerdi membrane without any issues, but have never used...
  8. Gregee

Adequate Framing?

Thomas, Thinking more about how I would approach this...another option would be to place 1/2" to 1" thick foam board (4'x8' sheets) against the block and then frame your wall "atop" of that. Some foam boards have overlapping joints; those that don't can otherwise be taped along the seams...
  9. Gregee

Adequate Framing?

A vapor barrier like tar paper would suffice if installing batt insulation. If using closed-cell foam, that takes care of itself. Hard to tell from photos, but appears there are not a lot of recessed screws/attachments. If not, why not simply deconstruct it all, place foam sill seal, drylock...
  10. Gregee

Ego_string_trimmer

Have and use several ego-brand lawn tools. 15" string trimmer works well, but it "eats" trimmer head plates, meaning the trimmer bump-cap; as I bang it against the dirt and more importantly, against concrete while edging, it abrades it and shreds apart. So, the bump-cap ends up separating from...
  11. Gregee

Adequate Framing?

Not ideal to have wood contacting concrete/block, but since you're above grade and all is dry, it's unlikely to cause a problem. I would recommend at least placing tar paper (or drylock would work fine) behind any new studs before installing. Maybe there's space behind to slip tar paper (or...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks