Gas_Fireplace

Users who are viewing this thread

Gregee

Reaction score
I have experience with multiple trades, but not much with gas-fitting and not sure where to post this, so I'll start here...

Had a Regency Horizon HR14E/LR14E gas fireplace insert installed a while back and while it's worked ok, it works just ok. Meaning the flame starts off nicely with mostly a strong blue flame with yellow tips (and I so wish it would stay that way), but after 10-20 minutes, flame seems to deplete oxygen levels significantly as we're left with a taller, yet much weaker yellow flame regardless of the shutter vent opening adjustments. Fireplace insert uses two 3" flues (one intake/one exhaust) and is fueled by a 100 gallon LPropane tank).

This model insert is manufactured (I believe) with a natural gas burner that is changed by the contractor for propane fuel. Any easy way to verify the conversion was done, meaning would the fireplace run as described if set for natural gas and burning propane without any propane conversion???

I despise the installing contractor who failed in several respects (failed original inspection with no bonding at all and no shutoff valve and very poor chimney cap/vent termination installation). I leave the pilot lit all winter and the fireplace does "start" up decently but then fades. Pilot light stays lit, but goes out occasionally and then reignites automatically. When lit, pilot light flame maintains a good appearance (1-2" blue flame with a yellow tip).

I have a different contractor service it now, but want second, third, or fourth opinions from anyone with hands-on experience before bringing contractor back out for another checkup.

Thanks as always!
Greg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Never work on one of these but looking at the install manual lp change over is only two orifices pilot and burner. Gas valve regulator. Gas valve has 6 positions control by a remote control to a board. Switch with off/ on/ remote positions. On bypasses the remote. Gas pressure on burner can vary from 6.5" to 10" with 11" incoming taps are on top of gas valve. With manometer gas pressure can be tested and see if gas pressure in or out is varying or gas valve is stepping down.

Gregee

Reaction score
Pulled open the firebox surround trimplate and fireglass to do some cleaning (i.e. removed spider webs and cleaned the interior glass). While apart, I took the liberty tucking rockwool insulation around and atop of the firebox. None of the owner's manual mentions (or even warns against this) and given the amount of space between the fireplace insert the original brick firebox, I need to reduce some drafts.

Any problem with tucking rockwool all around this thing??? Regency fireplace insert is rated ~73% efficient with internal flame temperatures around 2,000F Rockwool I have is rated for ~2100F

I can't imagine this will cause a problem given the exterior of the firebox shouldn't reach anywhere near 2,100F, but I'm sure it reaches several hundred degrees F. Looking for input and I will also write Regency to get their feedback.

Thanks!
Greg

Gregee

Reaction score
Heard back from Regency. They strongly recommend against wrapping their fireboxes with insulation because of plastic parts that won't tolerate the increased heat retention. I'm a little surprised to read that given their owner's manual mentions nothing about that caveat. Suffice it say I have remove most of the insulation and left only some along the rear brick behind the firebox.

Greg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks