Recent content by chrissyp

1. chrissyp

Exterior shower wall insulation

Sorry, I double posted by accident. Stress and sleep-deprivation. However, I have new info if anybody would care to advise. I just opened up the drywall a bit and saw that it is foil-backed. There is a small gap between that and the brick, which is lined with tar paper. Should I tear out the...
  2. chrissyp

Exterior shower wall insulation

Planing on a CBU and Kerdi membrane shower in a new location. One of the shower walls is on an exterior wall (no plumbing). From the outside in, I’m pretty sure it's currently double brick, tar paper/slats, and drywall. We framed for a 3″ wall in front of the drywall to add some insulation...
  3. chrissyp

Insulation behind shower wall

Thanks again. But I'm still wondering if anybody has a firm word on whether to remove the drywall or not?
  4. chrissyp

I thought Kerdi advised against vapour barrier between CBU and studs. Not sure if things change by making it thicker... or if leaving the drywall up is okay? I think contractor said something about leaving the drywall because there's an air cushion on the other side of the drywall at the slats.
  5. chrissyp

Thanks. If I vapour barrier the inside, I would be worried about the "moisture sandwich" between that and the Kerdi membrane. I was guessing it would be less of a concern if it were on the other side of the insulation? Would it be better to just leave the drywall up and have it go brick-vapor...
  6. chrissyp

One of the walls of our new shower is on an exterior wall. There will be no plumbing on this wall. I'm pretty sure the original construction is double brick, vapour barrier, slats, and drywall. So contractor has built a 3" wall in front of the drywall to add insulation. He's planning on CBU and...
  7. chrissyp

Hybrid shower? Kerdi membrane on CBU with traditional pan on floor

Contractor wants to do CBU with Kerdi membrane on walls, but a traditional mortar shower floor (liner sandwiched between two layers of mud). Any thoughts on tying these two systems together? Any concerns or things to look out for? Any advice is much appreciated.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks