Insulation behind shower wall

Users who are viewing this thread

chrissyp

Reaction score
One of the walls of our new shower is on an exterior wall. There will be no plumbing on this wall. I'm pretty sure the original construction is double brick, vapour barrier, slats, and drywall. So contractor has built a 3" wall in front of the drywall to add insulation. He's planning on CBU and Kerdi membrane for the shower walls. My question is about the insulation... should he remove the drywall? From the outside in, should it go double-brick, vapour-barrier, unfaced insulation, then CBU (back of shower wall)? Or is it okay to leave the drywall and just add some insulation between the old drywall and the CBU? Any advice would be appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
The insulation of choice would be a foam board, and the edges should be filled with expanding foam. Look for posts that mention XPS.

In a colder area like Toronto, the vapor barrier goes inside of the insulation. In a hot area, it is the other way.

chrissyp

Reaction score
Thanks. If I vapour barrier the inside, I would be worried about the "moisture sandwich" between that and the Kerdi membrane. I was guessing it would be less of a concern if it were on the other side of the insulation? Would it be better to just leave the drywall up and have it go brick-vapor barrier/slats-old drywall-insulation-CBU?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks. If I vapour barrier the inside, I would be worried about the "moisture sandwich" between that and the Kerdi membrane. I was guessing it would be less of a concern if it were on the other side of the insulation?
The Kerdi membrane would be inside. With a vapor barrier at the bricks, you would have a thick sandwich, right? With the vapor barrier inside, where is the sandwich?

I don't propose to say how to build a shower.

chrissyp

Reaction score
I thought Kerdi advised against vapour barrier between CBU and studs. Not sure if things change by making it thicker... or if leaving the drywall up is okay? I think contractor said something about leaving the drywall because there's an air cushion on the other side of the drywall at the slats.

Reach4

Reaction score
I thought Kerdi advised against vapour barrier between CBU and studs.
Maybe I should say that for describing where a vapor barrier goes, inside to me means the part that is farthest from outside. Outside is where the trees and grass are.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks