Exterior shower wall insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

chrissyp

Reaction score
Planing on a CBU and Kerdi membrane shower in a new location. One of the shower walls is on an exterior wall (no plumbing). From the outside in, I’m pretty sure it's currently double brick, tar paper/slats, and drywall. We framed for a 3″ wall in front of the drywall to add some insulation. Question is, should we remove the old drywall or is it okay to just leave it and add unfaced insulation between the old drywall and the CBU?

Last edited:

chrissyp

Reaction score
Sorry, I double posted by accident. Stress and sleep-deprivation. However, I have new info if anybody would care to advise. I just opened up the drywall a bit and saw that it is foil-backed. There is a small gap between that and the brick, which is lined with tar paper. Should I tear out the old drywall? Should I leave the tar paper and/or add a new vapour barrier?

Any advice on the recommended order would be appreciated. For example, if I don't change anything, it would end up brick-tar paper-foil-backed drywall-unfaced insulation-CBU-kerdi membrane.

Reaction score
Sorry, I double posted by accident. Stress and sleep-deprivation. However, I have new info if anybody would care to advise. I just opened up the drywall a bit and saw that it is foil-backed. There is a small gap between that and the brick, which is lined with tar paper. Should I tear out the old drywall? Should I leave the tar paper and/or add a new vapour barrier?

Any advice on the recommended order would be appreciated. For example, if I don't change anything, it would end up brick-tar paper-foil-backed drywall-unfaced insulation-CBU-kerdi membrane.

Reaction score
I think you should remove the drywall at the least, and I would use rockwool or closed cell foam instead of fiberglass. I think you should minimize the material that will absorb water and mold, even if you have a really good vapor barrier. Rockwool doesn't lose it's r value if it gets damp.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks