Recent content by Chris in Redlands

1. Chris in Redlands

Toto Bowl and Tank Combo for Washlet C5

Thanks, Terry! Glad I asked. That would have been a disappointing thing to discover after getting everything home. Wouldn't be the first time...The Santa Rosa I'll be replacing is a chair-height model I bought accidentally many years ago. I'll be glad to see it go. Seattle would be a pretty...
  2. Chris in Redlands

Toto Bowl and Tank Combo for Washlet C5

As the last item in our recently completed bathroom remodel, we decided to get a Toto Washlet C5. I assumed that it would fit on our existing Kohler Santa Rosa toilet, which it does not. The one-piece design won't allow the Washlet to be mounted far enough back. As pointed out in other threads...
  3. Chris in Redlands

Cast iron alcove tub on slab - waste and overflow tips?

Just dropping in to say "thanks" to everyone who helped me with this and to share some pictures of the finished job. Here's an album of photos of the finished bathroom. I was able to do everything by myself on this job, largely because of the help of all of you here. Thanks!
  4. Chris in Redlands

Connecting p-trap to old 1 1/2 inch steel pipe?

Just dropping in to say "thanks" to everyone who helped me with this and to share some pictures of the finished job. Here's an album of photos of the finished bathroom. I was able to do everything by myself on this job, largely because of the help of all of you here. Thanks!
  5. Chris in Redlands

So...THAT'S why ,,,and now I know :) This is what I suppose I'll end up doing. I'll probably be back here soon to ask how to retrieve the tap when I drop in inside the wall. Ha! Thanks!
  6. Chris in Redlands

I think I'll go with a "belt and suspenders" approach, teflon tape + some sort of dope. Interestingly, after pricing 1 1/2 galvanized pipe with at least 1 end threaded to make a homemade "tap" i discovered that it's actually less expensive to buy a tap on ebay. Picked one up today for $30...
  7. Chris in Redlands

Highland! Just down the road! Would you recommend the final build be galvanized rather than plastic? I was leaning toward plastic assuming my odds of getting a reliable seal would be better with plastic than with metal and pipe dope.
  8. Chris in Redlands

Wow, thanks for all the good tips! I had planned on using a small flexible shaft tool with a burr on the end of it to knock down the corrosion beyond the three or four good remaining threads in the drain pipe. As you can probably imagine, the threaded hole into the drain pipe is so corroded that...
  9. Chris in Redlands

Thanks! I probably should have shared some pictures. here's the old pipe with the escutcheon attached. It's more like 3 3/4 inches, i guess. You can also see how much thread i have to work with, and the corrosion that this old dog suffered over the years. And here is the hole in the wall. I'm...
  10. Chris in Redlands

Total amateur question here, but I'm trying to figure out how best to stub out the drain pipe that will eventually connect to the p-trap so i can finish tiling, but I don't yet know what sort of p-trap i'll be installing. Might be a decorative exposed one or just a standard PVC one, depending on...
  11. Chris in Redlands

You know, it never occurred to me for a minute that I could do this, and it kind of changes everything. We'll be using this for showers way, way more often than baths, so it makes total sense to move the valve up. It would only be a few inches I'd need to make that run totally reasonable for...
  12. Chris in Redlands

Wow, they certainly have given a lot more thought to the poor bastard who has to install the spout than Inolav has...a much smarter system. I have so much time and thought into this one, though, that it's almost a matter of pride to figure it out. I also have the spout in my possession already...
  13. Chris in Redlands

This is actually the only reason i'd even entertain doing this with copper as an amateur. The valve's tolerances are 1/2 inch. (2 1/2" to 3" from the back of the valve to the finished wall surface). I have it set up now for the plastic case to sit flush with the finished wall, but could actually...
  14. Chris in Redlands

That's correct, for sure. And the coupling for the spout increases the pressure somewhat over what it might have been on a "normal" spout because it chokes down to a mere 1/4 inch ID. I guess i am thinking more along the lines of "it's only pressurized when the tub is being filled, not when I'm...
  15. Chris in Redlands

That's very helpful. The centerline of the copper dropping from the valve is 1 15/16" (1-3/16 (centerline to back of backerboard) + 12/16 (thickness of backerboard and subway tile)) from where i need the coupling and flange to be when everything is snugged up if they're going to be flush. It...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks